1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Steve Mason made 23 saves for his third shutout this season, and Sean Couturier and Dale Weise each had a goal and an assist to help the Flyers to a 4-0 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Wells Fargo Center on Wednesday.
Couturier gave the Flyers a 1-0 lead one minute into the second period when he scored off the rebound of Weise's tip off a Brayden Schenn shot.
Simmonds made it 2-0 at 6:20 of the second with a power-play goal. Flyers defenseman Ivan Provorov held in the puck at the point and got it over to Shayne Gostisbehere for a shot from the right faceoff circle. Murray made the save, but Simmonds scored on the rebound.
Giroux put the Flyers up 3-0 at 15:44 of the third period when he scored on a one-timer, and Weise scored his first goal since Nov. 23 off the rebound of a Schenn shot with 47.3 seconds left to make it 4-0.
Video: Analysis and locker room comments following a 4-0 win2. TURNING POINT
Tonight's turning point rested on the shoulders of Steve Mason, who stopped all eight shots in the first period, which included several scoring chances and a Penguins power play… The saves led to the Flyers coming out to a much better start in the second period, scoring a pair of goals to grab the lead and never looking back to preserve the shutout victory.
3. THREE STARS
1 - Wayne Simmonds: Recorded the second Flyers goal of the night for his team-leading 29th goal which was also his 200th in the NHL.Video: PIT@PHI: Simmonds buries rebound for 200th NHL goal
2 - Steve Mason: Stopped all 23 shots faced to post his 20th win of the season, third shutout of the season and 33rd of his career.
3 - Sean Couturier: Recorded a goal and an assist, giving him six points in his last six games.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* Ivan Provorov logged a career-high 27:17 of ice time in tonight's game, which marks the 15th time this season he has logged over 24 minutes of time on ice.
* Wayne Simmonds scored his 15th goal on the power play, which ties him with Brayden Schenn for the NHL lead on the power play.
* Simmonds goal was also his 200th goal in the NHL and his 161st as a Flyer.
* Brayden Schenn posted two assists tonight. He now has a five-game point streak on home ice, recording six points (2g-4a) in that span.
* Claude Giroux extended point streak to five straight games with a goal tonight… He now has five points (2g-3a) during this streak.
5. THEY SAID IT
"Obviously with the Penguins you have to have your best stuff to win a hockey game. We're letting the season slip away, so for us to come up with a big effort right now and kind of stop the bleeding, and hopefully be able to build off this for the final 15 games or however many are left here, will be important."
- Steve MasonVideo: Mason discusses shutting out the Penguins in win
"There's been no waver in our demeanor. We haven't gotten results over the last two games, we went the backend of that road trip, Toronto, Boston, I easily feel we could have walked away with points, didn't get the start here at home we needed against Columbus but in terms of our approach and demeanor and presence there's been no change, it's a focused group that's working for the next game."
- Dave HakstolVideo: Coach Hakstol's postgame press conference