1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
In what's been a storyline throughout the young season thus far, the Flyers fell behind early and completed another comeback to earn a 4-3 overtime victory off a goal from Jakub Voracek.
The Red Wings struck with a pair of goals 16 seconds apart to take the early lead, but a great move on a goal from Chris VandeVelde closed the gap to within one, and Roman Lyubimov's first NHL goal early in the third period forged a 2-2 tie.
The Red Wings regained the lead on a 2-on-1 goal finished by Henrik Zetterberg with just over 11 minutes left in the third, but Mark Streit's goal in the final minute of play with the goalie pulled forced overtime. In the extra session, Jakub Voracek's great defensive play nullified a Detroit scoring chance and created a 2-on-1 rush up the ice with Claude Giroux, who threaded a pass to Voracek for a one-time past Petr Mrazek.
2. THE TURNING POINT
The turning point came on the stick of Mark Streit, who jumped on the pile of Flyers crashing the net for the game-tying goal. After Simmonds brought it to the net and Mrazek failed to freeze the puck, Streit took two whacks at it before putting it in the back of the net. The Red Wings challenged the play for goaltender interference on Brayden Schenn but the call on the ice stood and on to overtime the game went.
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Jakub Voracek: Scored the game-winning goal in overtime, his second of the season, for his sixth goal of the year.
2 - Dylan Larkin: Recorded a goal for the second straight game and had five shots, which tied for the most shots of any player in the game (Brandon Manning).
3 - Roman Lyubimov: Playing in just his eighth NHL game, he scored his first NHL goal, which tied the game at 2-2 in the third period.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers have now come back from at least a two-goal deficit in seven out of their total 11 games this season.
* Claude Giroux recorded an assist on Voracek's game-winning goal which extended his scoring streak 10 straight games, which is a new career high and is the longest streak in the NHL this season… He has all 13 of his points (2g-11a) during the streak.
* Wayne Simmonds extended his scoring streak to five games with an assist… He has six points (2g-4a) during this streak.
* The Flyers also extended their regular season win streak at home to 12 consecutive games over the Red Wings, a streak that dates back to 1997.
5. THEY SAID IT
"It's been a lot of time in the hospital. I spent the night there last night but everything went smoothly and I'm glad I can come out here and contribute and score a goal for her."
- Chris VandeVelde on scoring a goal after the birth of her daughter
"No, it's nice to come back and win this game, but we have to stop doing this because it is getting old. We have to find a way to have better starts, but the way you can see the character by the guys in the room, we start playing hard when we start playing on our toes."
- Claude Giroux
"I think that's a trade within the locker room. I don't think that's a surprise to anybody within our room, but it's a simple fact it's tough to do. We've been able to do it a couple of times and come out of the game with points, but it's not a position you want to be in. But you know what? The fact that we were down 2-0 and came out and we really went through the process of getting ourselves back in the game, stuck with it, and obviously took it right down to the wire. But we were able to come out with not just one but two points. That's really important."
- Dave Hakstol on resiliency of the team