HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Penguins scored four times in the span of 2:49 in the first period and after a fourth opening-frame goal, added two more in the span of 20 seconds in the second to launch themselves to a 7-1 win.
Oskar Lindblom got the Flyers on the board just under two minutes into the third period, but it's all the Flyers could get past Matt Murray, who made 29 saves.
Brian Elliott started for the Flyers and stopped 22 of 28 in two periods before Carter Hart took over for the third, making eight saves on nine shots.
1st: Sidney Crosby (1g-2a)
2nd: Dominik Simon (1g-2a)
3rd: Dominik Kahun (1g-2a)
We've seen the Flyers come back from large deficits often, but tonight's backbreaker was the goal that put them up 4-0 by Crosby. The play began when Travis Sanheim tripped up near the blueline, allowing Dominik Simon to carry the puck in and gain space. A cross ice feed was well covered, but Crosby placed it right under the bar to keep the momentum on the Pens side.
* Poor gaps, coverage breakdowns, careless turnovers, flat-footed puck watching, inability to string passes together, a lack of forechecking pressure and a seeing-eye shot that started it all made for a disastrous first period for the Flyers. They got buried under a quick deluge of four Pittsburgh goals.
* On the goal that made it 4-0, the Penguins got a mismatch with Sidney Crosby's line out against Mikhail Vorobyev's line, and Travis Sanheim fell down on the Pittsburgh entry into the zone. Just about the only positive for the Flyers was a solid kill on the game's first penalty.
* Alain Vigneault changed around line combinations in the second period, trying to find something that would work.
* There was nowhere to go but up for the Flyers in the second period and their play did improve-- until the Penguins scored two goals spaced just 20 seconds apart to expand the lead to 6-0. Before that, the Flyers at least started to establish some physical presence, generated some offensive zone time and defended better. That went for naught, however, as the Flyers couldn't make any headway on the scoreboard and then fell in an even deeper hole.
* Carter Hart got work in the third period. Oskar Lindblom converted a 3-on-2 rush from the right circle to get the Flyers on the board. Hart nearly got through the final period unscathed but a Sanheim giveaway behind the net led to a point-blank Dominik Kahun goal in the final six-plus seconds. It was a bad way to end an ugly night.
* Oskar Lindblom scored his sixth goal of the season in his 11th game... He didn't score his sixth goal until his 49th game last season.
* The loss was only the fourth regulation regular-season defeat for the Flyers at PPG Paints Arena in 21 games there.
* Claude Giroux led the Flyers with six shots on goal and was 17-for-28 (60.7 pct) on faceoffs.
* The Flyers wrap up their three-game road trip with a Friday night game at New Jersey for a rematch of opening night. Puck drop is 7 p.m. (NBCSP & 97.5 The Fanatic).
THEY SAID IT
Video: Couturier, Niskanen and ElliottVideo: Hear from Flyers coach following loss to PIT