1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Brandon Manning scored his first career shorthanded goal with 12 minutes left in the third period and the Flyers held off the Hurricanes the rest of the way for a 4-3 win. Shayne Gostisbehere put the Flyers on the board during a power play with just over two minutes left in the first period.
The game see-sawed from there, with Justin Faulk tying the score 1:01 into the second before Radko Gudas bagged his first of the year six minutes later. Carolina pulled ahead on a pair of goals in quick succession, first by Jeff Skinner 13 seconds past the game's halfway point and then an unassisted goal for Viktor Stalberg less than two minutes after that.
But Claude Giroux converted a feed from Wayne Simmonds with 2:46 left in the second to tie the game at the second intermission. Manning's game-winner came after Pierre-Edouard Bellemare forced a turnover near the Flyers' blue line and fed Manning in the neutral zone, who put a blast into the top left corner. Michal Neuvirth stopped 26 of 29 to take the win, while Cam Ward stopped 24 of 28 in the loss.
2. THE TURNING POINT
In a back-and-forth battle that saw multiple lead changes, Brandon Manning took a feed from Pierre-Edouard Bellemare while shorthanded, entered the Hurricanes zone and fired a shot high glove on goaltender Cam Ward to break a 3-3 tie midway through the third period. The goal stood up for the rest of the game as the Flyers got back into the win column.
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Claude Giroux: Recorded an assist and the game-tying goal to help lead the Flyers to the win… Giroux has tied his career-high nine-game point streak.
2 - Jeff Skinner: Posted another multi-point game with a goal and an assist while recording six shots on net, the most of any player in the game.
3 - Justin Faulk: Recorded a goal and a +2 rating, while also logging nearly 25 minutes of ice time in the contest (24:58)
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* Per the Elias Sports Bureau, tonight's game marked the first time since March 28, 2010 that three different Flyers defensemen scored in the same game. Matt Carle, Lukas Krajicek and Kimmo Timonen all tallied that night in a 5-1 home win vs. New Jersey.
* Claude Giroux extended his point streak to nine straight games with an assist on the Flyers second goal of the night - The nine game streak matches his career high… He also added a goal giving him 12 points on the year (2g-10) which is currently tied for the overall NHL lead in scoring.
* Shayne Gostisbehere recorded a goal in tonight's game giving him four goals and seven career points in six games against the Hurricanes.
* The Flyers scored a power-play goal for the fourth straight game, going 1-for-3, and have recorded a goal on the man advantage in seven of their last eight games.
* Prior to this season, defenseman Brandon Manning had one goal and 11 assists for 12 points in 77 games… In just 10 games this season, he has two goals and seven points.
* Wayne Simmonds had two assists and now has 11 points on the year (6g-5a), putting him one point behind Giroux, while extending his scoring streak to four games.
* In addition to his goal, Radko Gudas was credited with seven hits and one blocked shot. He was plus-2 in 22:45 of ice time, which led the team.
5. THEY SAID IT
"I was just trying to keep the puck in real quick. They didn't pressure too hard, they went to Jake's side. I had a lane and was just focused on getting by the D who was in front and thankfully the puck went in."
- Shayne Gostisbehere
"We got good efforts in all areas of our game. You have to have that, especially on a night where it's a back to back night and a 5:00 start. So you have to have contributions from all parts of your lineup and all areas of your game, and that's what we got."
- Dave Hakstol