HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Down 4-2 halfway through the third period, the Flyers scored five times in less than nine minutes to flip that deficit into a 7-4 win and snap a five-game winless streak against Columbus.
Jake Voracek opened the scoring against his former team with 5:09 left in the first period, but Boone Jenner tied it with 2:34 to play and Pierre-Luc Dubois make it 2-1 2:28 into the third. James van Riemsdyk picked up a power play goal with 2:21 left in the second, but the Jackets answered with another goal from Jenner 43 seconds later and then Josh Anderson made it 4-2 2:15 into the third period.
Shayne Gostisbehere started the comeback with 9:08 left in the contest, and after van Riemsdyk tied it with 7:23 to play, Kevin Hayes picked off a pass during a penalty kill and scored on a shorthanded breakaway to give the Flyers a 5-4 advantage with 5:36 left. Michael Raffl added an empty-netter and then Travis Konecny closed things out with a power play goal with 14 seconds to play.
Brian Elliott took the win with 22 saves on 26 shots, while Joonas Korpisalo made 39 saves on 45 shots faced.
1st: James van Riemsdyk (2g-1a)
2nd: Kevin Hayes (1g-2a)
3rd: Jakub Voracek (1g-2a)
The last 10 minutes of the third period was the turning point, but no moment was bigger than Kevin Hayes shorthanded breakaway that put the Flyers up for good... A D-to-D play at the point from Cam Atkinson who attempted to send it back to Ryan Murray was picked off by Hayes and he was off the races. A deke to his backhand, then forehand was initially stopped, but the rebound came right back on Hayes stick who lifted it over Korpisalo and gave the Flyers a 5-4 lead with 5:37 left in regulation.Video: CBJ@PHI: Hayes steals puck, scores SHG to break tie
* The first period was a disjointed, penalty-filled stanza. The two teams traded off one goal apiece that went in the respective goalie's backs.
* Justin Braun gave up a little too much space to Pierre-Luc Dubois on the Blue Jackets goal that made it 2-1.
* Korpisalo atoned for the leaky goal he allowed in the first period with back-to-back breakaway saves on Sean Couturier (off a great pass by Oskar Lindblom) and then Matt Niskanen after the defenseman exited the penalty box... The stops were, up until that point, the turning point in the game.
* Boone Jenner's second goal of the game could have been a backbreaker for the Flyers, and when the deficit grew to two goals, things seemed bleak. The comeback that followed-- capped by Hayes' shorthanded goal-- showed the Flyers' resiliency.
* The Flyers scored five goals in a third period for the first time since December 19, 2013, which was also a game against Columbus at the Wells Fargo Center. The Flyers trailed 3-0 after two periods and 4-2 with 11:35 to play before scoring three times in the final 4:39; Claude Giroux had both the game-tying and game-winning goal in the final four minutes.
* The Flyers are now 2-0-0 against Metro Division opponents, outscoring them 11-4 in the process.
* James van Riemsdyk posted two goals and an assist to give him back-to-back multi-point games... He has five points (3g-2a) in his last two outings.Video: CBJ@PHI: van Riemsdyk has puck go in off skate
* Kevin Hayes posted a shorthanded goal, which turned out to be the game winner, and two assists for his first three-point night as a Flyer.
* Claude Giroux recorded an assist and a plus-minus rating of +4.
* Travis Sanheim logged the most minutes of any Flyer tonight with 24:42 of TOI, nearly three minutes more than the second-most Flyer (Provorov - 20:50).
* Konecny's power-play goal at the end of the game now gives him points in eight of the first nine games... He also has nine points (5g-4a) in five home games.
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Flyers coach following win over CBJVideo: Hayes, van Riemsdyk and Elliott