HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
In their annual Black Friday matinee at the Wells Fargo Center, the Flyers earned a 6-1 win over the Detroit Red Wings.
The Red Wings arguably outplayed the Flyers in the opening 40 minutes but had nothing but a two-goal deficit to show for it. Disheartened, they wound up getting blown out. Detroit saw its losing streak extend to eight games (0-6-2) with the last six losses coming in regulation.
Scott Laughton, Shayne Gostisbehere, Sean Couturier, Kevin Hayes, Oskar Lindblom and James van Riemsdyk scored for the Flyers, while Jakub Voracek collected three assists. Robby Fabbri (5th) tallied the lone goal for Detroit.
Carter Hart earned the win in goal, and was the Flyers' best player in the first and second periods before the score got lopsided. He stopped 32 of 33 shots overall, including all 17 he faced in the second period. Calvin Pickard absorbed the loss. He denied of 28 of 34 Flyers shots.
1st: Shayne Gostisbehere (game-winning goal)
2nd: Carter Hart (32 of 33 shots)
3rd: Scott Laughton (1g-1a)
The Flyers two tallies with under a minute to go in the first & second period...The Red Wings hung around and, in fact, pushed the play for much of the first and second periods. The air went out Detroit's balloon as Sean Couturier scored in the final minute of the middle stanza and Philly's lead grew from 2-1 to 3-1. The Flyers pulled away in the third period.Video: DET@PHI: Couturier finishes off rush to double lead
* The first period wasn't an inspired one for the Flyers, but they nevertheless managed to take a 2-1 lead to intermission. Philly spent too much time defending and needed Carter Hart to make multiple tough saves. The Flyers also temporarily lost key defenseman Matt Niskanen to injury after he took a puck off his face. He returned for the second period wearing a full face cage with gauze stuffed up both bleeding nostrils.
* Before leaving the game, Niskanen made a perfect lead pass to Scott Laughton on the game's first goal. Laughton broke through over the middle and beat ex-Flyer Cal Pickard through the five-hole. Shayne Gostisbehere's late first-period power play goal was a backhander that bounced in off defender Filip Hronek near the net.Video: DET@PHI: Gostisbehere banks puck in off skate for PPG
* The Red Wings again generated considerable time in the Flyers' end of the ice in the middle frame but the period's only goal belonged to the Flyers at the tail end of the period for a 3-1 lead. On the front end of the rush, Ivan Provorov and Jakub Voracek navigated the puck up the ice. On the back end, Niskanen beautifully threaded the needle for Sean Couturier, leaving him one-on-one with Pickard.
* The floodgates opened in the third period as the Flyers pulled away with authority. The rout was on after closely-spaced goals by Kevin Hayes (tip-in off a broken play) and Oskar Lindblom (getting rewarded for going to the net). JVR broke his goal drought with a late tap-in from the doorstep created by the relentless work of Tyler Pitlick.
* The Flyers have earned points in their last five games, going 4-0-1, and points in 10 of the last 12 (7-2-3)... They are also 9-2-4 in the month of November... The win also gives the Flyers an overall mark of 8-1-4 on home ice
* Matt Niskanen got 15 stitches after taking a puck off the face - he played 17:11, recorded two assists and a +4 rating.
* Sean Couturier posted a goal and an assist for his fifth multipoint game of the month of November... It also gives him 18 points (7g-11a) in 20 career games against the Red Wings.
* Scott Laughton scored for the second straight game and added an assist, while Jake Voracek had three assists.
* Ivan Provorov led the Flyers in ice time (25:39) and was the only Flyer who played more than 20 minutes.
* The Flyers play the back end of their back-to-back when they travel to take on the Canadiens on Saturday afternoon in Montreal. Puck drop is on NBCSP or listen live on 97.5 The Fanatic.
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Flyers coach following win over DET
Video: Hear from Gostisbehere, Niskanen and Hart