1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Flyers posted five goals in the last two periods, while Radko Gudas lead the way with a goal and two assists as the Flyers walked away with an important two points in a 6-3 win over the Sabres.
The Flyers are now three points behind the NY Islanders (73 pts) for the final wild card position, and two points behind their next opponent, the Toronto Maple Leafs (72 pts).
Matt Read opened the scoring, deflecting a shot from the point through traffic by Radko Gudas, but the Sabres top power play in the NHL struck 15 seconds into their first opportunity to knot it back up at 1-1 after 20 minutes.
The Flyers again kicked things off in the second with a goal from Radko Gudas, who made a great pay to keep the puck in the zone then went top shelf on Robin Lehner to make it a 2-1 game… The Sabres again responded with a power-play goal from Jack Eichel to tie it at 2-2, but back to back goals from Jordan Weal and Claude Giroux put the Flyers up 4-2 after 40.
The third period saw a pair of goals, first from Chris VandeVelde and then Travis Konecny, to give the Flyers a four-goal cushion until Eichel recorded his second of the night. Steve Mason made 31 saves, while Lehner allowed all six Flyers goals, making 24 saves in the loss.
2. TURNING POINT
Back to back goals from Jordan Weal and Claude Giroux in the second half of the second period gave the Flyers a two-goal lead heading into the third period and forced a tired Sabres team, playing their third game in a four-night span, to play catch-up hockey the rest of the way, and eventually taking their third straight loss.Video: PHI@BUF: Weal deflects Voracek's feed in off skate
3. THREE STARS
1 - Claude Giroux: Recorded a goal, which turned out to be the game winner, and was a +2.
2 - Radko Gudas: Recorded a three-point night (1g-2a), was a +5 and logged nearly 20 minutes of ice time at 19:46. Video: PHI@BUF: Gudas steals puck, roofs sharp-angle goal
3 - Jack Eichel: Recorded two goals and an assist to extend his point streak to 11 straight games, the longest active streak in the NHL.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers scored six goals at even strength for the first time this season. The last time they did so was on March 5, 2016 in a 6-0 home win over Columbus. The last time the Flyers did it on the road was Dec. 20, 2014 when they posted seven even-strength goals in a 7-4 win at Toronto.
* Five Flyers recorded at least two point games, led by Radko Gudas with a goal and two assists. Jordan Weal and Travis Konecny each had a goal and an assist, while Michael Del Zotto and Sean Couturier recorded two assists.
* Del Zotto also recorded a plus-minus rating of +5, while Weal had a goal and an assist for his first career multi-point game.
* Steve Mason started his fourth consecutive game, stopping 31 of 34 shots. He is 3-0-1 in his last four contests, posting a 1.45 GAA and a .945 save percentage.
* The Flyers won the season series against the Sabres, going 2-1-0.
5. THEY SAID ITVideo: Giroux on the offense after a big win in Buffalo
Video: Dave Hakstol after a 6-3 win at Buffalo