1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The newest Flyer, Valtteri Filppula, made a big impact and Jake Voracek continued his shootout dominance as the Flyers fought back to earn a 2-1 shootout win over the Panthers on Thursday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
The game opened up with a spotlight on special teams with five power plays in the 20 minute frame with three going to the Panthers and the Flyers with two. The Flyers outshot Florida, 13-11, but nevertheless, the teams skated to a scoreless first period.
James Reimer began the second period for Florida coming in for the injured Roberto Luongo, and Reimer was up to the task, stopping several scoring chances in the first five minutes. Aaron Ekblad, finally broke the scoreless tie with a highlight reel goal, picking off a pass in the neutral zone, making a nifty move and firing a slapshot past Mason to give Florida a 1-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Valtteri Filppula tipped home the game-tying goal on a great feed from Brayden Schenn at 10:38 of the third period, and after a scoreless overtime period, Jordan Weal and Jake Voracek scored shootout goals while Steve Mason stopped Jonathan Huberdeau to seal the win.
2. TURNING POINT
Filppula's goal midway through the third period turned the momentum on the Flyers side, who took over in scoring chances and eventually led them to the shootout win. The play unfolded as Schenn carried the puck across the zone while Filppula went hard to the net with his stick in position for the tip. Schenn's hard pass found his stick, which deflected the puck past Reimer.Video: FLA@PHI: Filppula tips home goal in debut with Flyers
3. THREE STARS
1 - Jakub Voracek: Recorded an assist on the Flyers lone goal and scored the game deciding goal in the shootout.
2 - Aaron Ekblad: His ninth goal of the season was a highlight reel tally and gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead heading into the third period.
3 - Valtteri Filppula: In his first game as a Flyer, recorded a goal and logged 15:12 of ice time along with three shots on goal.Video: FLA@PHI: Voracek beats Reimer five-hole for SO winner
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers swept the season series against the Panthers for just the second time in franchise history and first since 2005-06… They went 3-0-0, winning two of the three games past regulation.
* The game saw a total of 89 shots on goal with the Flyers posting 49 shots, the second most all season.
* Brayden Schenn recorded an assist in the game to set a new career-high six-game point streak - he has three goals and four assists for seven points on the streak.
* Jakub Voracek recorded an assist and now has points in three straight games (2g-1a)… He also has at least a point in seven of his last nine games, posting seven points (3g-4a).
* Ivan Provorov led all players in the game with nearly 25 minutes of ice time (24:43)… It was the 12th time this season he has logged 24 minutes or more in a game.
5. THEY SAID IT
"Yeah I thought I started pretty well and then the second was a little tougher but I think again in the third we were able to create some chances so it's nice, nice to see."
- Valtteri FilppulaVideo: Filppula on scoring his first goal as a Flyer
"There are different momentum swings to this game. We really liked our first 30 minutes. The last 10 minutes of the second period we just couldn't get going. We were not doing the things we do. They were skating and pressuring us and we didn't handle that well to get the puck into their zone very much but the third period it's a close period. Not a whole lot happening. Those guys go out and make a play. That is a play that we needed. That's the type of hockey that it is around this time of year. It is tight and you got to stay with it and our guys did that."
- Dale HakstolVideo: Hakstol postgame press conference