1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
A pair of power play goals and one for Colin McDonald on his first NHL shift of the season powered the Flyers to a 3-0 win over New Jersey.
Brayden Schenn started off the scoring with his 17th PPG of the year 7:28 into the game, and McDonald's came exactly four minutes later.
Jordan Weal added another PPG six seconds after the halfway point of the second, which ended up completing the scoring. Michal Neuvirth started the game and played 7:37, but left after collapsing in the crease prior to a faceoff. Anthony Stolarz, recalled earlier in the afternoon from Lehigh Valley due to an illness for Steve Mason, took over and played the final 52:23.
Neuvirth made six saves while Stolarz stopped 26; Cory Schneider stopped 38 in a losing cause.
Video: Highlights and analysis following win over NJD2. TURNING POINT
Key save after key save by Anthony Stolarz in the first period, including a golden scoring opportunity by Devils rookie sniper Pavel Zacha, helped the Flyers preserve their early lead and give them confidence to play their style of game the rest of the way en route to the 3-0 shutout win started by Michal Neuvirth. Jordan Weal's goal in the second iced it and Stolarz shut down all 12 shots he faced in the third for the win.
3. THREE STARS
1 - Anthony Stolarz: Stopped all 26 shots he faced coming in relief of Michal Neuvirth after being recalled on emergency basis and arriving right before puck drop.Video: NJD@PHI: Stolarz knocks down Zacha's wrister
2 - Colin McDonald: In his first recall of the season, scored his first goal on his first shift.
3 - Jordan Weal: Scored a goal in his fourth straight game and now has eight goals and 10 points in 20 games.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers ran their winning streak to four straight games for the second time this season and first since their 10-game streak from Nov. 27-Dec. 14… During this streak they have outscored their opponent, 17-7.
* The Flyers have also now won five straight games on home ice.
* The teams combined for 82 penalty minutes tonight (PHI: 40, NJD: 42), 44 of which came in the second period.
* In five appearances in net, Anthony Stolarz still has a 2-0-0 record but has a 1.41 GAA and .951 save percentage stopping 116 of 122 shots faced in his career.
* Colin McDonald scored his first NHL goal since Nov. 27, 2015 when the Flyers defeated the Nashville Predators, 3-2, in overtime.Video: NJD@PHI: McDonald tallies with nice solo effort
* Shayne Gostisbehere extended his point streak to four straight games - he now has five points (1g-4a) in that span.
* Brayden Schenn extended his point streak to four straight games, recording five points (2g-3a).Video: NJD@PHI: Schenn nets rebound off end boards for PPG
* Schenn also extended his home scoring streak to nine consecutive games… The streak began on Feb. 22 vs. Washington and he has produced 11 points (5g-6a) in that stretch.
* Serving as emergency back up goaltender to Anthony Stolarz was Eric Semborski, who on Dec. 3, 2016, Semborski signed an ATO and also served in an emergency backup role for the Chicago Blackhawks in their game vs. Flyers at the Wells Fargo Center.
* The Flyers play the second of their back-to-back set Sunday night at Madison Square Garden when they take on the Rangers in a national telecast (7:30 p.m., NBCSN & 93.3 WMMR).
5. THEY SAID IT
"No, I mean, going in I kind of knew, I think we had a scenario like that a couple of weeks ago with the Phantoms. I am kind of familiar with the rule. When it is all said and done I am glad Neuvy got the win here."
- Anthony Stolarz
"Well Neuvy was our starter all day. Obviously stuff happens, happened with Mase midafternoon then there's a lot going on in this hockey game tonight but bottom line is I like the way our guys handled everything and just stayed with it and stuck together and did a good job in all areas."
- Dave HakstolVideo: Hear from Hakstol following win over NJD