1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Flyers came storming out to grab an early 2-0 lead and added three more goals, while Steve Mason stopped 30 of 32 shots to secure at 5-2 win over the visiting Winnipeg Jets.
Sean Couturier and Michael Raffl kicked things off for the Flyers, but the Jets battled back with goals from Dustin Byfuglien, who was left all by himself by the side of the net for an easy tap in goal. Mark Streit fired home a one-timer that handcuffed Jets' netminder Connor Hellebuyck to give the Flyers a 3-1 lead, but Blake Wheeler scored near the end of the frame to keep it a one-goal contest entering the third frame.
Wayne Simmonds put the game out of reach early in the third, while Brandon Manning added an empty net goal to cap the night off.
2. THE TURNING POINT
Wayne Simmonds pounced on a blocked shot from the point by Andrew MacDonald to give the Flyers a two-goal lead, 4-2, at the 14 minute mark of the third and the Flyers rode that cushion all the way to the end for a 5-2 win. The goal stopped any momentum gained by the Jets closing within one at the end of the second period and allowed the Flyers to play shutdown hockey the rest of the way.
Video: Mason shines in Flyers' 5-2 win against the Jets
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Sean Couturier: Got the Flyers started with the first goal of the night on his only shot of the game. His line also went head to head with the Jets top line.
2 - Michael Del Zotto: Went scoreless but played a shut down role of the Jets top line. Also recorded four shots on net.
3 - Nikolaj Ehlers: Appeared in 20:14 of ice time and recorded an assist, while recording four shots on goal for the Jets.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers have now won six straight games over the Jets, including five straight on home ice.
* The Flyers scored their first two goals on their first two shots of the game.
* This was the first Flyers victory by more than one goal since Oct. 22 (a 6-3 win over the Carolina Hurricanes) and a span of 13 games.
* Flyers defensemen recorded six points in tonight's game (2g-4a)… It was the 14th straight game a Flyers defenseman has recorded at least a point, and they added to their league lead of 55 points (14g-41A) by defensemen.
* Four of the five Flyers goals were scored at 5-on-5 even strength, while the fifth goal was a 5-on-6 empty net goal by Brandon Manning.
* Twelve different players in total recorded at least a point in the win tonight.
5. THEY SAID IT
"I think we played smarter. We eliminated turnovers, and we took care of the puck. We're on the right side of the puck, defensively. That's how we've got to close games. We've got to build on that and move forward."
- Sean Couturier
"They got a big, fast, physical team you know they came hard. I thought we did a good job with pucks in our zone, we didn't have too many turnovers and when we did Mase was there to back us up and like I said he played unbelievable."
- Wayne Simmonds