The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have signed forwards Mike Vecchione , Corban Knight and Phil Varone to two-year contracts, according to general manager Ron Hextall.
Vecchione recently completed his senior year at Union College, and immediately signed an entry-level contract with the Flyers for the remainder of the 2016-17 season, appearing in two games for the Flyers.
Below are news & notes on Vecchione:
DRAFTED: Undrafted, Signed to ELC by Flyers in Mar. 2017
AGE: 24 (2-25-1993)
BORN: Saugus, Massachusetts
VITALS: 5'10", 194 pounds
- Made his NHL debut with the Flyers on Apr. 4 at New Jersey and played in the season finale, Apr. 9 vs. Carolina… He recorded one shot on goal and averaged 8:30 of ice time.
- For Union in 2016-17, he recorded 29 goals and 34 assists for 63 points, all of which are new career highs to lead his team, and finished tied for first among all NCAA Players.
- His 29 goals led all ECAC players and ranked second among all NCAA players.
- He is one of three finalists for the 2017 Hobey Baker Award as top collegiate player… He was named the ECAC Player of the Year was named ECAC Hockey All-Academic Team for three straight seasons.
- He led the NCAA with 21 multiple point games and seven game-winning goals.
- Through four seasons at Union College, Vecchione recorded 71 goals and 105 assists for 176 points in 149 games and is the all-time leading scorer for Union… He served as team captain in the his final two seasons.
- As a rookie in 2014, he recorded 34 points (15g-20a) in 38 games and helped Union win the National Championship (along with current Flyer Shayne Gostisbehere) where he recorded two goals and an assist in the two games of the Frozen Four, including a goal in the championship game.
DRAFTED: 2009 by Florida Panthers (5th Round - 135th overall)
AGE: 26 (9-10-1990)
BORN: Oliver, British Columbia
VITALS: 6'2", 194 pounds
Below are news & notes on Knight:
- Knight recently completed his first season in the Flyers organization with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms after singing an AHL contract on Sept. 1, 2016.
- In his first season with the Phantoms, he appeared in 72 of 76 games where he recorded 40 points (11g-29a) and a plus-8 rating.
- Over the course of his AHL career, he has posted 132 points with 49 goals and 83 assists in 233 games.
- He has played 29 games in the NHL where he has recorded eight points (3g-5a), which included seven point (2g-5a) in 20 games with the Florida Panthers during the 2-15-16 season.
- He had a four-year career at University of North Dakota (2009-13) where he amassed 146 points (52g-94a) in 161 games.
DRAFTED: 2009 by San Jose Sharks (5th Round - 147th overall)
AGE: 26 (12-4-1990)
BORN: Vaughan, Ontario
VITALS: 5'10", 183 pounds
Below are news & notes on Varone:
- Varone recently completed the 2016-17 season split between the Ottawa Senators and their American Hockey League affiliate, the Binghamton Senators.
- Appeared in 65 regular season games for the Binghamton Senators, where he recorded 51 points (15g-36a) and served as an alternate captain.
- He also played seven regular season games for the Ottawa Senators, going scoreless.
- Overall he has appeared in 50 games in the NHL, recording 10 points (5g-5a) with the Buffalo Sabres (2013-15) and Ottawa Senators (2015-17).
- Over the span of six seasons in the AHL, Varone has recorded 298 points with 89 goals and 209 assists in 392 regular season games. He has a career total of six points (2g-4a) in 11 Calder Cup Playoff games.