The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they have signed goaltender Felix Sandstrom, the club's Third Round Pick (70th overall) in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, to an entry-level contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.
Sandstrom had previously been playing with Brynas and HV71 in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL).
Below are some news & notes on Sandstrom:
FELIX SANDSTROM (sand-STRUM)
DRAFTED: 3rd Round, 70th Overall (2015)
TEAM/LEAGUE: Brynas/HV71 - Swedish Hockey League (SHL)
AGE: 21 (1-12-1997)
BORN: Gavle, Sweden
VITALS: 6'2", 196 pounds
* Split this past season with Brynas and HV71 of the SHL, appearing in 11 games and posting a record of 5-5-1 with a 2.78 goals-against average and .904 save percentage.
* Last season, he posted a 14-7-0 record with two shutouts and a 2.25 GAA and .908 save percentage in 22 games in his second full season.
* He helped Brynas reach the SHL Finals, appearing in 13 playoff games and posting a 6-4 record, but did not start in the Game 7 loss.
* On the international stage for Sweden, he saw a majority of time in net at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championships and was named the Best Goaltender of the Tournament by the IIHF… He finished with a 4-2-0 record and a 2.17 and .915 save percentage after facing 152 shots throughout the 10 days.
* He has appeared at Flyers development camp in each of the last three off-seasons, but never a Flyers training camp due to his SHL season.