The Philadelphia Flyers announced they have acquired defenseman Matt Niskanen (NIHS-kah-nehn) from the Washington Capitals in exchange for defenseman Radko Gudas, according to Executive Vice President & General Manager, Chuck Fletcher.
"We're very happy to have Matt join the Flyers," said Fletcher. "He is a veteran right-shot defenseman who has a track record of success as a Stanley Cup champion. Having played heavy minutes in all situations throughout his career, Matt will be a steadying influence to our talented and young group of defensemen."
Below are news & notes on Niskanen:
MATT NISKANEN (NIHS-kah-nehn)
DRAFTED: 2005 - 1st Round (28th overall) by Dallas Stars
AGE: 32 (12-6-1986)
BORN: Virginia, MN
VITALS: 6'1", 203 pounds
* Niskanen recently completed his 12th season in the NHL and fifth with the Washington Capitals.
* He recorded eight goals and 17 assists for 25 points in 80 regular season games for the Capitals this past season, and added two assists in seven playoff games.
* In 2017-18, he helped lead the Capitals to their first Stanley Cup Championship in franchise history.
* He recorded nine points (1g-8a) and appeared in all 24 games of the playoffs while posting a +6 rating and logged over 25 minutes of ice time (25:36) during Washington's Cup run.
* Over 12 seasons in the NHL he has appeared in 881 regular season games, recording 323 points (64g-259a) and a career plus-minus of +97.
* Dallas Stars (2007-08 to 2010-11)
* Pittsburgh Penguins (2010-11 to 2013-14)
* Washington Capitals (2014-15 to 2018-19)
* He has helped all three teams reach the Conference Finals in his career (Dallas: 2008, Pittsburgh: 2013, Washington: 2018).
* In total, he has appeared in 125 Stanley Cup Playoff games, recording 40 points (5g-35a).
* Internationally, Niskanen has represented the United States on several occasions, most recently in the World Cup of Hockey in 2016... He has also played in the 2009 World Championships and 2006 World Junior Championships for USA.
Gudas departs the Flyers after four seasons (2015-2019) where he has produced 73 points (17g-56a) in 290 regular season games. This past season, he won the Barry Ashbee Trophy as the Flyers' Most Outstanding defenseman after recording 20 points (4g-16a) while logging 17:53 of ice time and leading the defense with a plus-minus of +6.
He was acquired by the Flyers on Mar. 2, 2015 from the Tampa Bay Lightning for a Firs and Third Round pick in 2015 in exchange for Braydon Coburn.