Game Day and the Flyers had no optional skate as the full team took to the ice in Buffalo. As did the Sabres, who return home after a three-game road trip. Puck drop is 7 p.m. on the NBCSP+ network or listen live on 93.3 WMMR tonight.
Below are quick notes & quotes to come out of the morning session:
* Goaltender Alex Lyon was first off the ice and Flyers Head Coach Dave Hakstol announced that he will get the call in net against the Sabres. For Lyon it will be his first NHL start since Mar. 25 against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
SIMMONDS: "Going back to last year when Big Al played, we played really well I thought... We have to be ready in front of him."
* Other lineup changes to come out of the skate is that forward Jori Lehtera will be inserted into the lineup after sitting out last game, while Nicolas Aube-Kubel coming out. Lehtera will be a key part of the team's penalty kill that, despite giving up three goals last game, including two that came in quick fashion on the 5-on-3, the structure has been good as of late.
HAKSTOL: "If you look at our previous five games there was a lot of good play on the PK. Then you have a game like that [vs. Tampa] and it blows it up again, so we have to take a step back and make sure that right now the concentration that I'm seeing on it, the structure is pretty good. We have to take it to that next level in terms of finding more opportunities to get our three and four man presses going."
* The Flyers return to the road looking to get back on track like they did just three weeks ago when they headed out to California... They are 5-3-1 and average a goal more per-game on the road than on home ice so far this season.
BEHIND ENEMY LINES (Courtesy @BuffaloSabres)
* The Sabres also held a skate today as they return home with a six-game point streak on the line.
* According to reports, Carter Hutton will get the call between the pipes for his fifth start in the last six games. He is 9-6-1 with a 2.61 GAA and .917 save percentage this year. Lifetime however, he owns a perfect 3-0-0 mark against the Flyers with a 1.95 GAA and .921 save percentage.
* The Sabres have a few injuries to content with: Defenseman Marco Scandella, who logs close to 20 minutes per-game (19:28) on Buffalo's blue line, will not play due to a lower-body injury, while forward Patrik Bergland will be out with an upper-body injury. Evan Rodrigues skated on the fourth line with Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons with Bergland's absence.
* No change on the top line, which is as loaded as they come with captain Jack Eichel at center, Jeff Skinner on the left side and Jason Pominville on the right... Skinner is third in the NHL with 14 goals, while Eichel has five points in his last three games (1g-4a) and has five goals and seven points in eight career games against the Flyers.