Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

2011 Young Stars: Sharks 6, Flames 1

by Staff Writer / Calgary Flames
PENTICTON, BC -- The Calgary Flames were able to put 39 shots on the San Jose Sharks goaltenders but could only find the back of the net once, falling 6-1 on the opening night of the 2011 Young Stars tournament.

Flames goaltender Joni Ortio faced 26 shots in the loss and while he isn't happy with his performance, he wants to put this game behind him.

"I just felt my timing was off and I was off on my angles," he said afterwards. "But once we get that straightened out, I think it's going to work out for me ... Just go through the goals and forget about it. Learn from your mistakes. No good things can come out of worrying about the goals and all that other stuff. Go through it and forget it."

Ortio is facing a challenge many European netminders find daunting in adjusting to the smaller rink size in North America. He acknowledged this played a part in his game on Sunday afternoon but doesn't see it as something he needs to spend a lot of time worrying about.

"When you come to a smaller rink, I think it's going to be fairly quick to get used to that - at least I hope so. I think we've got the first game out of the way so I look forward."

It appeared nerves came into play early in the game for the Flames. San Jose was able to capitalize on a couple of shaky plays by Calgary, scoring on their first two shots on net.

"It was a frustrating way to start," admitted Carter Bancks. "We got down early. I thought we did some things right. We were getting pucks on net but the opportunities we gave up were way too prime, right from prime scoring areas."

The first Shark to strike was Charles Inglis. His linemate Joe Antilla was able to snare a mishandled puck behind the, crank a shot off the post and when the rebound bounced towards the faceoff circle, Inglis was able to snap it past Joni Ortio.

Just a 1:32 later, Michael Sgarbossa was given all kinds of space and time in the Flames zone and he didn't waste the opportunity handed to him. His top shelf wrister flew over Ortio's glove to make it a 2-0 affair at the 4:45 mark.

The Sharks made it 3-0 at 7:46 of the middle frame when Nathan Moon beat T.J. Brodie to the puck in a chase through Calgary zone and knocked it over to Trevor Cheek. His wrist shot slowly trickled through Ortio's pads.

Cheek was able to force a turnover at the blueline around the 16:00 mark, allowing Curt Gogol to slip a shot through Ortio to make it 4-0 after 40:00 of play.

Things didn't any easier for Ortio in the final frame. Just 0:53 in, Brodie Reid sent a shot on net from a bad angle and it squeaked through the netminder's pads. The fifth Sharks goal prompted the Flames bench to call a timeout but the squad couldn't find an answer to the Sharks netminder J.P. Anderson, who came in to play the third period after Thomas Heemskerk held court for the first two stanzas.

San Jose added a sixth marker when Sena Acolaste's point shot bounced off a couple players in front of the net and alluded Ortio's glove.

Pivot Roman Horak was hauled down on a partial breakaway and was awarded a penatly shot. Horak went five hole with a backhand and it squeaked through Anderson's pads to break the Sharks shutout bid.

The Flames are back in action on Monday afternoon when they face off against the Vancouver Canucks at 5:00 PM MST. The game will be streamed live on
View More