Here’s what you need to know for tonight's year-ending visit to Detroit!
1. Dainius Zubrus is expected to appear in his 1,200th game tonight, becoming just the 102nd player in NHL history to do so. He made his NHL debut as the youngest player in Flyers’ franchise history (18 years, 3 months & 19 days) on Oct. 5, 1996 vs. Florida. He has played 510 games with the Devils entering tonight, the most among the five NHL teams he’s skated for, followed by Washington (331), Philadelphia (200), Montreal (139) and Buffalo (19).
2. Tonight’s game is the third and final meeting of the regular-season series. Detroit improved to 2-0-0 against the Devils with a 5-4 shootout win at Prudential Center on Nov. 28.
3. The PK hopes to ring in the New Year on high note by continuing its strong recent play. New Jersey penalty killers went 3-for-3 vs. Pittsburgh on Monday and are 32-for-35 (91.4%) over the last 11 games.
4. With his goal in Monday’s win over Pittsburgh, Jaromir Jagr (711) moved within six of Phil Esposito (717) for fifth on the NHL’s all-time list. It was Jagr’s 126th game-winner, extending his NHL record.
5. The Devils are looking to finish the calendar year above .500 (31-31-17=79pts). They were 36-35-18=90pts (.506) in 2013.
6. New Jersey has won its last three New Year’s Eve contests:
Dec. 31, 2010 - Devils 3, Thrashers 1
Dec. 31, 2011 - Devils 3, Penguins 1
Dec. 31, 2013 - Devils 2, Penguins 1