New Jersey Devils 0 vs. Washington Capitals 1 OT
Scott Wedgewood’s shutout streak ends at 159:34
Three Stars: 1. John Carlson 2. Scott Wedgewood 3. Braden Holtby
Attendance: 16,514 (sold out)Team Notes
• New Jersey fell to 9-2 in games decided in overtime.
• The Devils are 5-2-1=11pts over their last eight games and are now 36-31-8=80pts on the season.
• New Jersey finished 0-2-2=2pts in its season series vs. Washington & is now winless in seven straight (0-4-3) vs. the Capitals (last win, Nov. 14, 2014). Four of the last five games have been decided by one goal; three have gone to OT/SO.
• The Devils have earned a point in three straight (2-0-1=5pts) at Prudential Center and are 17-15-5=39pts at The Rock overall.
• New Jersey was shut out for the eighth time this season.
• Tonight’s contest was the fourth in a stretch of five straight games vs. Metropolitan Division opponents. The Devils are 11-15-3=25pts vs. the Metro overall & finished 6-6-3=15pts vs. the division at home.
• Tonight's contest closed out the club's 12th and final set of back-to-back games. The Devils finished 5-6-1=11pts in first games and 5-4-3=13pts in second games when playing on consecutive dates.
• The Devils penalty-kill unit was 2/2 tonight and its 8/8 over the last three games.
• Washington outshot New Jersey, 26-22.
Scott Wedgewood (25 saves) is 2-0-1 and has stopped 91/93 shots in his first three NHL starts. Per the Elias Sports Bureau, his 159:34 stretch without allowing a goal is the second-longest scoreless sequence by a rookie goaltender in Devils history, behind the run of 164:18 that Martin Brodeur posted in 1994 (March 7–17).
David Warsofsky led New Jersey with a career-high four shots on goal.
Andy Greene led the Devils in ice time with 26:29, two takeaways and five blocked shots.