New Jersey Devils 3 at Washington Capitals 4
Three Stars: 1. Brooks Orpik 2. Reid Boucher 3. T.J. Oshie
• The Devils fell to 0-2-1=1pt. in the season series & are now winless in six straight games vs. Washington overall (0-4-2-2pts).
• New Jersey has lost three straight games in regulation for the first time since Jan. 4-8 (0-3-0).
• The Devils are 3-3-1=7pts over their last seven road games and are 15-12-3=33pts away from Prudential Center overall.
• New Jersey fell to 8-11-2=18pts vs. the Metropolitan Division this season, including 4-7-0=8pts on the road.
• Tonight’s contest closed-out the club’s eighth of 12 sets of back-to-back games. The Devils are 3-4-1=7pts in first games and 4-2-2=10pts in second games when playing on consecutive dates.
• New Jersey was 3/3 on the penalty kill tonight and is 32/35 (91.4%) over the past 10 games.
• The Capitals outshot the Devils, 34-24, including 24-10 over the final two periods.
Cory Schneider (28 saves) took the loss in goal and fell to 25-19-6 on the season.
Reid Boucher registered a career-high 1g-2a-3pts for his third multiple-point game of the season. He has 2g-4a-6pts over the last six games & has 4g-5a-9pts in 18 appearances overall.
Travis Zajac scored his ninth goal of the season & also posted the primary assist on Boucher’s goal for his sixth multiple-point game. Zajac has 2g-5a-7pts over the last eight games and 9g-21a-30pts overall. He now has 2g-7a-9pts over his last 11 games vs. the Capitals.
Kyle Palmieri scored his team-leading 22nd goal of the season & recorded an assist on Zajac’s goal for his eighth multiple-point game. Palmieri now has 2g-2a-4pts over the last five games. He recorded a season-best +3 rating tonight.
John Moore collected the secondary assist on Boucher’s goal and has 3a over the last five games.
Andy Greene played in his 289th consecutive game, dating back to Mar. 6, 2012, and has passed Aaron Broten (288 games, Mar. 27, 1986-Jan. 4, 1990) for the sixth-longest such stretch in Devils’ history. Jay Pandolfo is next on the list, having appeared in 307 consecutive games from Jan. 22, 2003-Nov. 28, 2007.
Tuomo Ruutu returned to the lineup for the first time since Jan. 26 at Pittsburgh. He was a healthy scratch in each of the previous nine games. Ruutu totaled two shots on goal and three hits in 9:53 of action.
David Schlemko and Jordin Tootoo led the Devils with three shots on goal each.
Seth Helgeson posted a team-high four blocked shots.