New Jersey Devils 3 vs. Detroit Red Wings 2 (OT)
Three Stars: 1. Kyle Palmieri 2. Sergey Kalinin 3. Jimmy Howard
• New Jersey erased a two-goal, third-period deficit to improve to 15-10-4=34pts on the season.
• The Devils are now 5-1 in games decided in overtime this season.
• New Jersey has points in five straight (3-0-2=8pts) and in eight of its last 10 games (5-2-3=13pts).
• The Devils have won their last two games at Prudential Center to improve to 7-6-3=17pts at home overall.
• New Jersey is now 4-0-1=9pts vs. the Atlantic Division this season, including 1-0-1=3pts at home.
• The Devils snapped a four-game winless streak (0-3-1) vs. the Red Wings.
• New Jersey was 1/4 power play tonight; they club has scored at least one PPG in 19 of its 29 games this season.
• The Devils outshot the Red Wings, 38-29. The team’s 38 shots on goal were a season-high (previously, 37, Nov. 14 vs. Pittsburgh).
Cory Schneider (27 saves) improved to 13-7-4 and has now allowed two goals or less in 15 of his last 17 starts since Oct. 29. He’s 9-5-3 with one shutout, a 1.97 goals-against average & .932 save-percentage during that stretch.
Kyle Palmieri scored the overtime game-winning goal at the 4:20 mark, his second OT goal of the season (Nov. 8 vs. Vancouver), his third at Prudential Center (Dec. 20, 2013) and the fourth of his NHL career. He also picked up the primary assist on Kalinin’s goal to record his fifth multiple-point game of the season. Palmieri has tied his career-high with points in four consecutive games (4g-1a-5pts) & has goals in six of the last seven contests (6g). He leads the Devils with 5g-6a-11pts on the power play.
The goal was Palmieri’s 13th of the season, which ties Adam Henrique for the team-lead. He’s also now just one goal shy of tying his career high (also, 2014-15, 2013-14).
Damon Severson scored his first goal of the season at 2:40 of the third period to cut Detroit’s lead to 2-1. Severson has 1g-2a-3pts over the last three games and leads all Devils’ defensemen with 1g-9a-10pts this season.
Sergey Kalinin scored his third goal of the season/second on the power play at 14:40 of the third to tie the game and force the extra session. It was his first goal/point since Nov. 12 at Chicago (11 games).
Lee Stempniak collected the lone assist Palmieri’s game-winner and extended his point-scoring streak to a team season-high five straight games (2g-3a-5pts). Stempniak has factored into four of the Devils’ five OT wins this season (1g-3a-4pts).
Jordin Tootoo recorded 2a tonight for his first multiple-point game since Mar. 14 at Arizona (1g-1a-2pts). With an assist on Kalinin’s PPG, five (2g-3a) of Tootoo’s six points (2g-4a) this season have come with the man-advantage.
Stephen Gionta assisted on Severson’s goal, giving him 1g-1a-2pts over the past five games.
Mike Cammalleri recorded a team-high six shots on goal and led all forwards with a season-high 23:57 of TOI tonight.
Joseph Blandisi made his NHL debut and registered three shots on goal in 14:37 of action. He became the first player in Devils’ history to wear no. 64.
Jiri Tlusty returned to the lineup for the first time since Nov. 20 at Edmonton. He missed nine games due to a upper body injury.