‘Yotes Notes: Tippett Says Injured Ekman-Larsson is Day-to-Day
/ Arizona Coyotes
Defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson did not practice on Tuesday in Vancouver, and Head Coach Dave Tippett said he is considered “day-to-day” and questionable for Wednesday’s game against the Canucks at Rogers Arena.
“We’ll see where he’s at tomorrow morning,” Tippett said after Tuesday’s practice. “He’s better today so we’ll see where it is tomorrow.”
Ekman-Larsson suffered an upper-body injury in the third period of Monday’s 3-1 loss at Colorado. He left the game after colliding with Matt Duchene at 3:19 of the third period and did not return.
Ekman-Larsson, who leads the Coyotes with 49 points, has played 188 consecutive games. He last missed a game on Jan. 7, 2014.
• Captain Shane Doan is expected to play Wednesday in his 1,452nd game and move past Teemu Selanne into sole possession of 23rd place on the NHL’s all-time games played list.
• Defenseman Zbynek Michalek, who missed Monday’s game because of an upper-body injury, practiced Tuesday and likely will play on Wednesday.
• Forward Kyle Chipchura is expected to rejoin the team on Wednesday after leaving briefly to be with his wife as she gave birth to their daughter in Phoenix on Monday.
• Forward Sergei Plotnikov has delivered 14 hits in his first four games with the Coyotes.
“He’s a good skater and he plays hard and heavy,” Tippett said. “…He’s playing on a fourth line – a kind of a grinding line – but he’s doing a pretty good job. You can tell he’s got some skill and he’s a heavy player. We need some of that physical element in our lineup.”
• The radio broadcast of Wednesday’s game at the Vancouver Canucks has been changed from ESPN Phoenix 620 AM to KTAR News 92.3 FM.