Ilya Bryzgalov will be getting his second straight start for the Coyotes and for the second consecutive game, an Ex-Coyote will be against him in goal. Brian Boucher will be getting the start in goal for the Sharks. 1st Period
The Sharks struck first blood with 3:23 remaining in the first period. Forward Lukas Kaspar let a shot go from the bottom of the faceoff circle that got between the legs of Bryzgalov to give San Jose a 1-0 lead. Jeff Friesen and Jamie McGinn received assists on the goal.
- Sharks outshot the Coyotes 8-6 in the first period.
- Coyotes went 0 for 2 on the power play. Sharks had no opportunities.
The Coyotes tied the score at 1 in the second period when a streaking Peter Mueller ripped a shot past Boucher. Ryan Lannon earned the only assist.
Phoenix took the lead 49 seconds later when Daniel Winnik found Mueller wide open for his second goal of the game. Derek Morris
tallied the secondary assist.
Another goal by the Coyotes wasn't far behind. Mikkel Boedker
scored the Coyotes third goal in a 2:27 span to give Phoenix a 3-1 lead. Kurt Sauer and Daniel Carcillo recorded the assists on the goal.
Peter Mueller completed the hat trick with 2:57 remaining in the period when he ripped a shot short side over Boucher's shoulder. Olli Jokinen recorded his first point as a Coyote with an assist.
- Sharks outshot the Coyotes 12-10 in the period and are outshooting Phoenix 20-16 in the game.
- Coyotes forwards Peter Mueller and Daniel Winnik combined for 7 shots in the second period.
- The Sharks are 0 for 2 on the power play. The Coyotes are 0 for 3 with the man advantage.
Goaltender Mikael Tellqvist started the third period in goal for the Coyotes relieving Bryzgalov.Mikkel Boedker
scored his second goal of the game on a twisted wrist shot over the shoulder of Boucher.