The food and beverage options at Rogers Arena are as impressive as the Canucks' on-ice product. Although you might not be able to fine tune your hockey skills to become like Brock Boeser or Elias Pettersson, now is your chance to practice your culinary skills!
Below is the recipe for the Gaucho Chicken Bowl, created by Canucks Chef Robert Bartley. Enjoy!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
¼ cup (60 ml) gaucho marinade (see recipe below)
4 cups cooked Spanish/ Mexican red rice (keep warm)
1 cup diced red onions ½" dice
1 cup diced red pepper ½" dice
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 cups canned / cooked black beans, rinsed
8 shishito peppers
1 avocado, peeled/ pit removed and quartered
Handful of fresh of cilantro
¼ cup sliced red radishes
4 lime wedges
Method (makes 4 bowls so divide all ingredients by 4):
- Make gaucho marinade (see recipe below)
- Marinate the raw chicken with the gaucho marinade. Refrigerate for 12 hours & up to 24 hours
- When chicken is ready to bake, heat oven to 420F
- While preheating prep onions, red pepper, avocado, radishes and lime. If using frozen corn make sure it is thawed prior to use.
- Remove chicken from marinade (do not discard marinade yet) and arrange on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Be sure to not over crowd the pan. Have enough space in between each piece of chicken
- Bake chicken in oven until golden brown and chicken is fully cooked (about 15-20 minutes)
- While chicken is in the oven, cook rice. When finished, keep warm.
- When fully cooked, remove chicken from oven and set aside
- In a mixing bowl combine the red onion with the red pepper, corn and the shishito peppers (keep these whole). Add a TB of the Gaucho marinade and toss well. Spread evenly on a baking tray and bake in the 420F oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Discard any remaining marinade.
Arranging the rice bowl:
- Divide the cooked Spanish rice into 4 bowls
- Cut each chicken thigh in half
- Now start to arrange the toppings. Think like you are building around a clock.
- Put the cooked chicken at 2 o'clock
- Arrange the cooked peppers/ onions and corn at 4 o'clock
- Arrange the avocado quarter at 5 o'clock
- Arrange the black beans at 9 o'clock
- Garnish with a lime wedge at 10 o'clock
Gaucho Chicken Marinade: (makes approximately 1.2 L / 4 cups)
1 can (220 ml) Chipotle pepper
200 gm Cajun seasoning powder
500 ml Water
500 ml Canola oil
- Blend chipotle into a very fine paste in a blender.
- Add Cajun spice, water and oil. Blend very well to a smooth paste.