Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks

Canucks Report: Injury Update and Bolduc's Busy Day

by Staff Writer / Vancouver Canucks
Decmber 6, 2010


By Elizabeth Moffat,

Mikael Samuelsson suffered a mild concussion Sunday night when he collided with Vladimir Sobotka of the St. Louis Blues late in the game.

Head coach Alain Vigneault declined to comment on a timeline for his return, referring only to standard concussion recovery protocol, but did confirm that the 33 year-old will not play on Wednesday.

The team is not expected to call up another forward, as the Sunday call up of Alex Bolduc provides them with a twelfth forward.

Mason Raymond returned to the ice this morning, after missing Sunday’s game due to illness. He is expected to play Wednesday night against the Anaheim Ducks.

“I feel a million times better than yesterday, that’s for sure,” said Raymond, who hadn’t missed a game since the end of the 2007-08 season when he sat out eight games with a knee injury. “It’s just a matter of getting the body healthy, getting some food back into myself and getting ready for Wednesday’s game.”

“It’s tough, you never want to sit out, or miss a game, it’s odd sitting at home, watching your team on TV.”

Guilaume Desbiens practiced with the team Monday morning. He hopes to be ready to play by the end of the week.

The 25 year-old has missed 13 games since breaking his hand on November 4th in a fight with Cody Mcleod of the Colorado Avalanche.

“It was very frustrating,” said the right-winger. “I clearly won the fight, and it was one of the first fights this year. I felt really good about how it went. It didn’t really hurt that much when it happened, but after the adrenaline wore off I came back to the locker room and I knew there was something wrong with my hand.”

“I want to contribute too, when you see other guys put the puck in the net, you want to be one of those guys too, so I was happy to see guys that I used to play with do that, and I can’t wait to get back in and do that too.”

Coach Vigneault did not have a definite return date for Desbiens.

“I don’t think the hand is 100%, but it’s close,” coach V said. “He’ll be skating with the team and the medical staff will tell me when it’s 100%.”

Sami Salo skated alone prior to Monday morning’s practice for approximately ten minutes. Coach V reiterated that he still has a lot of recovery left before being ready to rejoin the lineup.


Alex Bolduc woke up Sunday morning in Manitoba after playing back to back games against the Oklahoma City Barons and had no idea that by early that afternoon he would be rushing to the airport to make it to Vancouver for a 6:00 start against the St. Louis Blues.

Bolduc had played only one game as a Canuck this season before suffering a high ankle sprain and sitting out the next 23 games.

Last week Bolduc was sent to the Manitoba Moose, but when Mason Raymond and Andrew Alberts came down with illnesses Sunday morning Bolduc was needed back in Vancouver ASAP.

“I got the call around 12:45 [yesterday] and the flight left at 1:50, so I had an hour to get my equipment and get to the airport,” said the 25 year-old. ““It usually takes 25 minutes to get there, so I told the cabby to floor it, he was good, took some back roads I’ve never taken before. He was good.”

A flight from Winnipeg takes about three hours, but with the two hour time difference a 1:50 flight from Winnipeg would arrive at YVR just after 3:00.

“I came right from the airport, got here around 3:45, not that much time. I came to the game in jeans and the shirt I had on this morning, so that was a little different.”

Bolduc played on the fourth line with Tanner Glass and Joel Perrault, registering 5:57 time on ice, including almost a minute on the penalty kill.

Author: Elizabeth Moffat

View More