MONTREAL – Here’s a numerical look at the Habs-Pens match-up at the Bell Centre on Monday night.
– Number of chances given to Brian Gionta
by the Penguins’ defense on a single play, before the speedy winger finally scored on his third rebound attempt in the first period. 1646
– Number of days passed since Habs tough guy Eric Neilson and Sidney Crosby played together in their last regular season game with the Rimouski Oceanic. 0
– Combined number of penalties dished out in the first period, with the two well-behaved squads managing to avoid the box completely during the first 20 minutes for the first time in the Habs’ five preseason games played so far.
– Number of shots blocked by Mathieu Carle and Josh Gorges
against the Pens on Monday night, tying for the team-lead in that category. 25:02
– Game-high time on ice enjoyed by All-Star defenseman Andrei Markov
– Differential amassed by Andrei Markov
on the night, with the shifty blue-liner picking up two assists in the Canadiens’ 4-3 win. Brian Gionta
, Scott Gomez
and Jaroslav Spacek finished just behind Markov, each posting stellar plus-3 differentials against the defending Cup champs.
– Elapsed time between Guillaume Latendresse’s third period marker and Brian Gionta
’s eventual game winner only minutes later, midway through the final stanza. Shauna Denis is a writer for canadiens.com.