- After a two-day break, the Canadiens returned to practice on Wednesday morning at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard to begin preparing for Round 2 of the playoffs, which will get underway on Friday night at the Bell Centre. The Habs’ opponent will be determined on Wednesday night as the Tampa Bay Lightning play host to the Detroit Red Wings in Game 7 of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series at Amalie Arena.
- Prior to the start of practice, defenseman Nathan Beaulieu hit the ice with athletic therapist Vincent Roof-Racine. Beaulieu skated for approximately 30 minutes. The Strathroy, ON native hasn’t played since Game 3 against Ottawa on April 19. He has been sidelined with an upper-body injury.
- In his post-practice press conference, general manager Marc Bergevin confirmed that Beaulieu will miss at least the first four games in Round 2. He will then be re-evaluated to determine when he’ll be able to return to active duty. Bergevin also discussed his team’s performance in Round 1, in addition to addressing the play of his team’s defense corps.
- Defenseman Sergei Gonchar did not take part in Wednesday’s on-ice session. He missed practice due to family reasons.
- Zachary Fucale and the Quebec Remparts advanced to the QMJHL Finals on Tuesday night, downing the Moncton Wildcats 7-0 to sweep the series. The Remparts await the winner of the series between Rimouski and Val d’Or. You’ll recall that Fucale is assured of participating in the Memorial Cup as Quebec plays host to the tournament from May 21-31 at the Colisee Pepsi.
Lines and D pairings at practice:
De La Rose-Mitchell-Smith-Pelly