Thursday, November 1, 2007
TD Banknorth Garden; Boston MA
Game Time: 7:00 p.m.
NESN and WBZ RadioTonight’s Game
The Bruins host the Sabres tonight in the first of eight games between these teams this season and the first of four games in Boston. The Bruins are 6-4-0 thus far this season and are 3-1-0 this season on home ice. The Sabres are 5-5-0 overall this season with a 2-3-0 record on the road. The Bruins are 0-1-0 this season vs. Northeast Division teams and they are 2-2-0 overall vs. Eastern Conference foes. The Sabres are 1-1-0 this season vs. Northeast Division teams and they are 5-4-0 overall vs. Eastern Conference opponents.All-time Series
The Bruins are 104-96-29-2 all-time vs. Buffalo with the Sabres holding a 764-762 scoring advantage in those 231 games. The Bruins are 63-37-14-1 all-time vs. the Sabres on home ice with a 422-341 scoring edge in those 115 contests. The Bruins were 2-5-1 vs. the Sabres in last season's series with Buffalo winning the last meeting of these clubs by a 4-2 margin in Buffalo on Apr. 5, 2007. Both of Boston's victories over Buffalo last season came via shootout.Recent Bruins Games
The Bruins have split their last two games with a 3-1 win over Chicago on Oct. 25 and a 2-1 loss to Philadelphia on Oct. 27. They are 5-2-0 in their last seven games, including a four-game win streak from Oct. 12-20.Recent Sabres Games
The Sabres have won their last two games and are 2-2-0 on their current five-game road trip thus far with a 4-2 loss in Montreal on Oct. 20, a 6-2 loss in Carolina on Oct. 24, a 4-2 win in Florida on Oct. 26 and a 4-3 overtime victory in Tampa Bay on Oct. 27.Upcoming Bruins Games
The Bruins will next face a home-and-home series with the Ottawa Senators, playing in Ottawa on Nov. 3 (7:00 p.m.; NESN and WBZ Radio) and hosting the Senators on Nov. 4 (7:00 p.m.; NESN and WBZ Radio). Tonight's game is the first of a stretch of nine consecutive games vs. Northeast Division opponents. Upcoming Sabres Games
The Sabres will next return home to host Florida on Nov. 2 before facing the Canadiens in Montreal on Nov. 5.Bruins InjuriesPatrice Bergeron
: Out indefinitely; Concussion and broken nose suffered Oct. 27 vs. Philadelphia.
Manny Fernandez: Day-to-day; Knee strain suffered Oct. 30 in practice.Bruins October Transactions
Oct. 1: Nate Thompson, Petteri Nokelainen and Matt Hunwick assigned to Providence/AHL.
Oct. 2: Jeff Hoggan assigned to Providence/AHL).
Oct. 3: Glen Metropolit signed as a free agent.
Oct. 17: Brad Marchand
signed to a contract.
Oct. 23: Brandon Bochenski assigned to Providence/AHL on a conditioning stint.
Oct. 28: Brandon Bochenski returned from Providence/AHL conditioning assignment.
Oct. 30: Jordan Sigalet recalled from Providence/AHL.Bruins 2007-08 Shootouts (1-0)
1. Oct. 10 … NY Rangers 0 at Boston 1 … Boston Goal: Manny Fernandez (W) … New York Goal: Henrik Lundqvist (L). Boston Shooters: Bergeron (N), Sturm (N), Kessel (Y) … New York Shooters: Shanahan (N), Drury (N), Jagr (N)Bruins 2007-08 Penalty Shots
1. Oct. 27 … Phil Kessel unsuccessful vs. Philadelphia's Martin Biron (15:09 second period).Bruins Fun Facts
• November Birthdays: Glen Murray will turn 35 on November 1 and Bobby Allen will turn 29 on Nov. 14.
• Manny Fernandez is three games shy of his 300th NHL game milestone.
• Marc Savard
is six games shy of his 600th NHL game milestone.
• Marco Sturm is ten games short of his 700th NHL game milestone.
• Glen Metropolit is ten games short of his 200th NHL game milestone.
• Tim Thomas
currently leads all NHL goaltenders in save percentage at .957 and ranks second overall in goals against average at 1.34…Thomas has allowed two goals or fewer in each of his six games, holding opponents to just one goal in four of those contests.
• The Bruins have 17 sets of back-to-back games this season and have completed two of these sets thus far.
• They are 1-1-0 this season in the first game of these series and are 2-0-0 in the second game of these sets.
• The Bruins have two rookies on their current roster – David Krejci
and Milan Lucic
…Krejci played six NHL games last season while Lucic played his first NHL game Oct. 5 in Dallas in this season's opener.
• The Bruins have five players on their current roster who are new to the organization this season – Manny Fernandez (trade with Minnesota), Milan Lucic
(draft), Glen Metropolit (free agent), Peter Schaefer (trade with Ottawa) and Shawn Thornton
(free agent). That is in addition to new coach Claude Julien and new assistant coaches Craig Ramsay and Geoff Ward.
• The Bruins opened this season with a five-game trip against Pacific Division teams, which concluded Oct. 13 in San Jose. That was the last game of the season scheduled for the Bruins outside of the Eastern Time zone.
• The Bruins will host the Central Division teams this season and will not play teams in the Northwest Division.
• The Bruins have completed six of their 24 seasons series. They are 0-1-0 vs. Anaheim, 1-0-0 vs. Chicago, 0-1-0 vs. Dallas, 1-0-0 vs. Los Angeles, 1-0-0 vs. Phoenix and 1-0-0 vs. San Jose.The Players
6 Dennis Wideman D
• Scored his first point of the season with a power play goal Oct. 22 in Montreal.
• Has played the last nine games after not dressing for the season opener.
• Has not dressed for one game this season (coach's decision).
10 Brandon Bochenski RW
• Is looking to play his first Boston game of the season.
• Returned Oct. 28 from Providence/AHL where he had been assigned on a conditioning stint on Oct. 23…Had one goal and no penalty minutes in two AHL Bruins games.
• Dressed, but did not play Oct. 10 in Anaheim.
• Has not dressed for seven games this season (coach's decision).11 P.J. Axelsson LW
• Has three assists in his last nine games, recorded on the shorthanded game-winning goal Oct. 6 in Phoenix, Oct. 12 in Los Angeles and Oct. 25 vs. Chicago.12 Chuck Kobasew RW
• Has 3-1-4 totals in four of his last nine games… Scored the shorthanded game-winning goal Oct. 6 in Phoenix; added single tallies Oct. 10 in Anaheim and Oct. 12 in Los Angeles; and had an assist Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
• Had a three-game goal streak from Oct. 6-12 (3-0-3 totals).13 Glen Metropolit C
• Has 1-1-2 totals in ten games thus far this season, recording his first point as a Bruin with an assist Oct. 10 in Anaheim and scoring his first goal as a Bruin Oct. 25 vs. Chicago.
• Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas…Recorded his first point as a Bruin with an assist Oct. 10 in Anaheim…Scored his first goal as a Bruin Oct. 25 vs. Chicago.
• Signed as a free agent on Oct. 3…Had been invited to training camp on a pro try-out agreement.16 Marco Sturm LW
• Has 3-2-5 totals in three of his last six games with two assists Oct. 13 in San Jose, two goals Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay and a goal Oct. 27 vs. Philadelphia.
• Has two multiple-point games.
• Has taken one shootout shot this season (no goal).17 Milan Lucic LW
• Recorded his first NHL assist/point and goal Oct. 12 in Los Angeles with the goal proving the game-winner…Completed his 'Gordie Howe hat trick' with a fight in that game as well.
• Has one multiple-point game.
• Played his first NHL game Oct. 5 in Dallas…Recorded his first NHL assist/point and goal Oct. 12 in Los Angeles with the goal proving the game-winner.
• Changed his number from 62 to 17 on October 30.21 Andrew Ference D
• Has three assists in two of his last five games with a two-assist effort Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay and an assist on the game-winning goal Oct. 25 vs. Chicago.
• Has one multiple-point game.22 Shawn Thornton RW
• Scoreless in ten games thus far this season.
• Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas.27 Glen Murray RW
• Had his three-game point streak stopped Oct. 20 vs. NY Rangers with 1-3-4 totals in that span…Had a 1-1-2 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles and single assists each Oct. 13 in San Jose and Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
• Has one multiple-point game.30 Tim Thomas G
• Had his three-game win streak stopped with a 2-1 loss to Philadelphia on Oct. 27…That followed a 2-1 victory in San Jose on Oct. 13 (27 shots), a 4-1 victory over Tampa Bay on Oct. 18 (36 shots) and a 3-1 win over Chicago on Oct. 25 (27 shots).
• Has faced 30-or-more shots in three of his six games with a 2-1-0 record in those games.
• Has not allowed more than two goals in a game yet this season.
• Had a three-game win streak from Oct. 13-25.
• Has dressed as backup for four games.33 Zdeno Chara D
• Had an assist Oct. 27 vs. Philadelphia, his first point since a two-assist effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
• Had a three-game assist streak from Oct. 6-12 with four assists in that span.
• Has one multiple-point game.35 Manny Fernandez G
• Is out indefinitely with a knee strain suffered Oct. 30 in practice.
• Had his two-game win streak stopped with a 6-1 loss in Montreal on Oct. 22…That followed an 8-6 victory in Los Angeles on Oct. 12 and a 1-0 shootout victory over NY Rangers on Oct. 20, his 14th career shutout.
• Recorded his 14th NHL shutout and first as a Bruin with a 1-0 shootout win over NY Rangers on Oct. 20.
• Has played in one shootout this season (1-0, 0 goals/3 shots).
• Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas with a 4-1 loss…Earned his first win as a Bruin with an 8-6 victory in Los Angeles on Oct. 12.
• Has dressed as backup for six games.37 Patrice Bergeron C
• Is out indefinitely with a concussion and broken nose suffered Oct. 27 vs. Philadelphia.
• Had his three-game point streak stopped Oct. 20 vs. NY Rangers with 1-4-5 totals in that span…Had an assist Oct. 12 in Los Angeles, a 1-1-2 effort Oct. 13 in San Jose and two assists Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.
• Has 3-4-7 totals in five of his ten games played this season.
• Has two multiple-point games.
• Has taken one shootout shot this season (no goal).38 Bobby Allen D
• Has not dressed for the last nine games.
• Played his lone game of the season Oct. 5 in Dallas.
• Has not dressed for eight games (coach's decision).41 Andrew Alberts D
• Scoreless in ten games thus far this season.44 Aaron Ward D
• Has 2-1-3 totals in three of his last seven games…Scored his first goal of the season Oct. 12 in Los Angeles; netted the game-winner at 19:48 of the third period Oct. 13 in San Jose; and had an assist Oct. 25 vs. Chicago.45 Mark Stuart D
• Scored his first goal of the season Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay…It was his first goal scored since he scored his first career NHL goal on Apr. 10, 2006 vs. Washington.46 David Krejci C
• Has three assists in two of his last nine games…Recorded his first NHL point with an assist Oct. 6 in Phoenix and added two assists Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
• Has one multiple-point game.53 Jeremy Reich LW
• Has not dressed for the first ten games of the season (coach's decision).57 Jordan Sigalet G
• Recalled Oct. 30 from Providence/AHL where he had a 1-0-0 record and 3.00 goals against average in one game this season, earning a 6-3 win in Philadelphia on Oct. 20.72 Peter Schaefer LW
• Has 1-3-4 totals in three of his last seven games…Had two assists Oct. 12 in Los Angeles, scored his first goal as a Bruin Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay and added an assist Oct. 22 in Montreal.
• Has one multiple-point game.
• Played his 500th NHL game Oct. 20 vs. NY Rangers.
• Played his first game as a Bruin Oct. 5 in Dallas and recorded his first point as a Bruin with an assist in that game…Scored his first goal as a Bruin Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay.81 Phil Kessel C/W
• Scored two goals Oct. 25 vs. Chicago, including the game-winning score and has now scored the deciding goal in each of Boston's last two wins.
• Scored the deciding shootout goal in a 1-0 win over NY Rangers on Oct. 20…It was his fifth career shootout deciding goal.
• Scored his first career hat trick and recorded a career-high for points in a game with a 3-1-4 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
• Has two multiple-point games.
• Took his first career penalty shot on Oct. 27, unsuccessful vs. Philadelphia's Martin Biron.
• Has taken one shootout shot this season (one deciding goal).91 Marc Savard C
• Has points in six of his nine games played this season with 1-9-10 totals in that span…Had power play assists each Oct. 5 in Dallas and Oct. 6 in Phoenix; matched his career-highs for assists and points in a game with a 1-4-5 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles; and single assists each Oct. 18 vs. Tampa Bay, Oct. 22 in Montreal and Oct. 27 vs. Philadelphia.
• Has one multiple-point game.
• Recorded his 500th NHL point with the first assist of a 1-4-5 effort Oct. 12 in Los Angeles.
Has missed one game to injury (1-groin, Oct. 10)…Missed the Oct. 10 game in Anaheim with the injury, snapping his consecutive games-played stretch at 166 games dating back to his previous game missed (April 3, 2004 at Buffalo while with Atlanta).