Skip to main content
The Official Site of the St. Louis Blues

Janssen, Payne Named Komen Co-Chairs

by Staff Writer / St. Louis Blues
ST. LOUIS – Blues Head Coach Davis Payne, along with his wife Jane, and Blues forward Cam Janssen will serve as honorary co-chairs of the 13th annual Susan G. Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure to be held Saturday, June 11 in downtown St. Louis.

“Jane and I are honored to be able to co-chair an event that is so important to the awareness and fight against breast cancer,” said Payne. “We are proud to take up the battle for a cause that has impacted us closely. There are many who have fought and survived, including Jane's mother, and we lend our full support to bringing awareness and resources to the continued fight. We look forward to a great Race for a great cause. Thank you and let's win this Race for the Cure!"

Payne is also a member of the 2010-11 Class of Pink Tie Guys, the Komen St. Louis Affiliate’s breast cancer awareness program.

St. Louis native Cam Janssen is also very excited to be a part of this year’s Race.

"St. Louis has been a leader in raising millions of dollars for research to save lives and raise awareness,” said Janssen. “I know this year will be no different. I’ll make sure of that! We are all fighters against breast cancer."

“We could not be more thrilled to have Davis and Jane Payne and Cam Janssen serve as honorary co-chairs of this year’s Race,” said Helen Chesnut, executive director of the St. Louis Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. “The St. Louis Blues are a tremendous community supporter of the work being done by the Komen St. Louis Affiliate to end breast cancer forever. I couldn’t think of a better fit for our 13th annual Race than Davis, Jane and Cam and the wonderful leadership and commitment to finding the cures that they all represent. Together, with the St. Louis Blues, we will make an impact.”

For the fifth year in a row, the Blues and FOX Sports Midwest will join together to form a Race for the Cure team. Saint Louis University Hospital will also support the team once again by involving staff, and survivors from their cancer center. All team members will receive a special team t-shirt and can enjoy exclusive pre-race activities outside of Scottrade Center. In addition, the first 1,500 fans to sign up for the Blues team will receive a ticket voucher for a 2011 Blues preseason game. Since 2007 the Blues and FOX Sports Midwest Race for the Cure team has raised more than $160,000 in the fight against breast cancer.

The 2011 Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure marks the13th annual running of the Komen Race for the Cure Series in St. Louis. The Komen St. Louis Affiliate expects more than 65,000 people to participate in the Race, which continues to be the largest, in terms of number of participants, in the global series.

Last year, 71,802 people gathered downtown for the Race and helped raise more than $3.4 million, of which up to 75 percent stays in the St. Louis area to fund screening, treatment, education and support programs. The remaining 25 percent goes to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grants Program.

Registration for this year’s Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure officially opens on Friday, March 11. You can get more information or join the Blues team by visiting www.stlouisblues.com/community.
View More