BLUE JACKETS 2 | HURRICANES 3
Scott Hartnell Post Game
Kevin Connauton Post Game
Marko Dano Post Game
Brandon Dubinsky Post Game
Todd Richards Post Game
ANALYSIS: The Blue Jackets are struggling to get pucks on the Carolina net, but with two goals on 13 shots, it's pretty clear they should be doing more of it. They haven't spent nearly enough time in the offensive zone and Anton Khudobin has been far less busy than counterpart Sergei Bobrovsky through two periods. The Canes lead 3-2 on second period goals from Justin Faulk (power play goal), Ron Hainsey (hello, old friend) and Brad Malone, and the lone Columbus goal came from Scott Hartnell who scored his fifth goal in 3.5 games against Carolina this season. The Hartnell goal, his 21st, was a tap-in, but full credit goes to Marko Dano, who put on a skill-laden display to walk through a Canes defender and slip a pass right to Hartnell in the crease. Shots are 23-13 favoring Carolina.
Scott Hartnell Goal
Second Period Highlights
ANALYSIS: Well, all things considered, a decent first period for the Blue Jackets after a slow start. All they needed to get something going into the break was a buzzer-beating power play goal from Nick Foligno, who jammed the puck through Anton Khudobin in the goal crease with 0.6 seconds left in the opening period for a 1-0 Columbus lead. Until that point, it had been a back-and-forth period without many quality chances for either side. Sergei Bobrovsky had nine saves in the first period while Khudobin had five stops on six shots for the Hurricanes.
Nick Foligno Goal
First Period Highlights
Kevin Connauton Pregame
Marko Dano Pregame
Todd Richards Pregame
UPDATE (10:30 AM): Updates from Todd Richards...
- Brandon Dubinsky is expected to play after missing the past two games due to illness.
- Sergei Bobrovsky will start in goal.
- Richards has not decided where he'll slot Dubinsky in the lineup. That's likely a decision to be made after the pre-game warmup.
- No changes to the defense, which means Cody Goloubef and Justin Falk are the healthy scratches on the blue line.
UPDATE (10:00 AM): The Blue Jackets are holding an optional morning skate at Nationwide Arena. Among the players skating are Jeremy Morin, Boone Jenner and Curtis McElhinney.
Good morning from Nationwide Arena!
The Blue Jackets wrap up a stretch of three games in four nights when they host the Carolina Hurricanes this afternoon. Coming off a 5-4 comeback win over the Edmonton Oilers on Friday night, the Jackets are seeking their fourth consecutive win -- something they have not done since mid-December.
Carolina played yesterday, dropping a 2-0 decision on home ice to the Florida Panthers. Despite sitting in eighth place in the Metropolitan Division, the Hurricanes have played well since the All-Star break and actually have the NHL's best power play since then (as the Blue Jackets found last week).
Here are some game day morning nuggets...
- Sergei Bobrovsky is expected to start in goal for the Blue Jackets today. He's battling a bit of a head cold, Todd Richards said, so that's something they will be monitoring today with a flu bug going around the room.
- No official word yet, but it's possible 'Canes start Anton Khudobin today. He's played very well against the Blue Jackets in his career.
- Brandon Dubinsky, out the past two games with an illness, said he's ready to go this afternoon after practicing yesterday. Dehydration was a big problem while he was sick, he said, and just getting back up to 100 percent has taken a bit longer than he thought.
- The Blue Jackets have a 9:30 a.m. optional skate and we'll have more updates to follow.