1st Star: C Phillip Danault, Moncton (QMJHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3G, 5A, +5 plus/minus
Danault week-to-week performance just keeps reinforcing why Moncton gave up the farm to get him at the midseason trade deadline. The Wildcats swept their slate last week, going 3-0 and outscoring opponents 16-6 in the process. Danault logged an assist on Feb. 19 vs. Acadie-Bathurst and enjoyed a three-point night in a 7-2 win over Drummondville on Friday, then exploded for two goals and two assists in a tightly-contested 4-3 overtime win over P.E.I., contributing to all four Moncton goals, including the game-winner in the extra frame.
|(Terry Wilson/OHL) |
2nd Star: C/LW Garret Ross, Saginaw (OHL)
The Line: 4GP, 4G, 3A, 16 PIM, +4
Saginaw split a four-game road trip, winning at Windsor and Kitchener before losing to Owen Sound and London over the weekend. Ross logged points in three of the four contests, tallying his first hat trick on Feb. 19 at Windsor, adding a helper in the game to complete a four-point night. The Spirit captain has 25 points in 11 games (12G, 13A) in the month of February and has improved his point totals each month since the start of the season.
3rd Star: G Mac Carruth, Portland (WHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3-0-0, .956 SV%, 1SO
Carruth picked up where he left off after losing two games in a month for the first time since the start of the campaign. The seventh-round draft pick won all three of his starts last week and recorded his franchise-record seventh shutout of the season, a 27-save performance at Kamloops. Carruth made 87 stops on 91 shots, bringing his goals-allowed average back below 2.00, where it has been for most of the season.
Honorable Mentions: RW Chris Calnan, South Shore (EJHL); C Alex Broadhurst, London (OHL)
Calnan resumed his scoring form after a month’s absence, logging six points (3G, 3A) in two games since returning to the South Shore lineup, including a five-point night (2G, 3A) on Sunday at Philadelphia.
Alex Broadhurst has scored a goal in each of his last three appearances and has four points in his last three games for the league-leading London Knights. His 55 points (20G, 35A) are tied for third on the team, and his +28 rating paces club forwards.
Around the system:
- Teuvo Teravainen recorded a goal and two assists in three games last week. Despite playing just 39 games this season, the Blackhawks’ first-round draft pick last summer ranks fifth on Jokerit with 30 points (15G, 15A).
- Rouyn-Noranda defenseman Dillon Fournier posted three assists and a +2 rating in two contests for the Huskies last week. Fournier has 21 points (6G, 15A) for the Huskies this season.
- Not to be outdone by their parent club, the Rockford IceHogs have embarked on a five-game win streak dating back to Feb. 16. Martin St. Pierre, who leads the team with 19 goals, had a big hand in the club’s success this week, scoring a pair of goals and adding an assist, logging a +3 rating in three games.
- Jeremy Morin has appeared on the scoresheet in six consecutive games for Rockford dating back to Feb. 13, and he has points in each game of the current win streak including a goal and three assists in three contests last week.
- Jimmy Hayes logged two goals and two assists last week, including a two-goal game on Feb. 22 vs. Grand Rapids. His 18 goals rank second on the team.
- Goaltender Carter Hutton has anchored the Rockford renaissance, going 4-1-0 over his last five starts and saving 157 of 167 shots for a .940 save percentage. Hutton won both of his starts for Rockford last week, including a 35-save shutout at Peoria on Feb. 20.