1st Star: C/RW Ryan Hartman, Plymouth (OHL)
The Line: 3GP, 1G, 4A, +3 plus/minus rating
Chicago’s 2013 first-round pick collected points in each of his three games last week to help the Whalers win two of their outings. Hartman picked up helpers on the opening goal as well as the game-winning tally in a 4-2 win over Kitchener on Tuesday. He assisted on Plymouth’s only goal in a 2-1 shootout loss to Barrie on Friday, then posted the game-winning goal and an assist the next night in a 5-0 win over Windsor. Hartman leads the Whalers with 25 assists and ranks second with 48 points in just 47 games this season.
|(Greg Hamil/Rockford IceHogs) |
2nd Star: LW Jeremy Morin, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3G, 1A
In three games for the IceHogs last week, Morin extended his point streak to a team-best, season-long 12 games dating back to Feb. 1. The 22-year-old tallied twice in Rockford’s 4-1 win at Iowa on Tuesday for his third multi-goal game of the season. Morin recorded an assist in a 5-4 overtime loss at Oklahoma City on Friday, then netted his team-leading 21st goal of 2013-14 in a 5-4 loss to the Barons the next night. Morin was named the CCM/AHL Player of the Month award for February for his offensive contributions as the IceHogs went unbeaten in regulation all month (9-0-1-1).
|(Matt Cashore/University of Notre Dame) |
3rd Star: C Vincent Hinostroza, Notre Dame (H-EAST)
The Line: 1GP, 1G (OT GWG)
The Irish played just once last week, but it was a marquee event, taking on conference leaders Boston College; Hinostroza came through in the clutch, netting the overtime game-winner as Notre Dame secured a 2-1 victory. The tally was the seventh of the season for the freshman and his first since Jan. 25, and Hinostroza now ranks third on the team with 28 points in 28 games this season.
Honorable mentions: C Anthony Louis, Miami (NCHC); G Brandon Whitney, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
Louis recorded his first two-goal game and added an assist in Miami of Ohio’s 5-4 loss to Minnesota-Duluth on Friday. The 2013 draft selection was held without a point in a 1-0 loss the next night, but paced the RedHawks with six shots on goal.
Whitney returned to action last week after suffering a major neck injury in early January and had his best outing on Friday. The 2012 seventh-round pick stopped 36 of 37 shots in Victoriaville’s 7-1 win over Chicoutimi to notch his 13th win of the season.
Around the system:
- Defenseman Robin Press posted a goal and an assist for Sodertalje in a 5-4 win over Almtuna in the Swedish Allsvenskan league. Press, a seventh-round pick in the 2013 draft, has 14 points (4G, 10A) in 50 games with the club in all competitions this year.
- A trio of college blueliners made an impact for their teams last weekend: Vermont junior Michael Paliotta tallied his fourth goal of the season in a 3-2 win over UMass-Lowell on Saturday; he paces team defensemen with 23 points in 33 games... Nick Mattson posted a helper in North Dakota’s 5-2 win at St. Cloud State on Friday, capping off a season-long four-game point streak (2G, 4A)... Sam Jardine collected points in each of Ohio State’s weekend set against Michigan. The 2012 sixth-rounder registered a helper in a 2-2 tie on Friday, then scored his first goal of the season and added an assist in a 4-3 loss on Sunday. Jardine ranks second among team blueliners with 12 points in 29 games in his sophomore campaign.
- Freshman netminders Matt Tomkins returned to action for Ohio State last weekend, starting both games against Michigan. The 2012 seventh-round selection made 69 saves on 75 shots over the two games for a .920 save percentage, and did not allow a shootout goal on three attempts in Friday’s 2-2 tie.
- Adam Clendening picked up a goal and an assist in three games for Rockford last week; he continues to lead the team with 46 points (8G, 38A) in 58 games this year... Klas Dahlbeck netted his 10th goal of the season in Rockford’s 4-1 win over Iowa on Tuesday. The Swedish blueliner is now one tally away from tying the single-season defenseman scoring record set by Brian Connelly three seasons ago.
- The Broadhurst brothers put on a show in Rockford’s 5-4 overtime loss at OKC on Friday. Older brother Terry tallied twice for his first multi-goal game of the season, with younger brother Alex contributing helpers on both goals... Rookies Garret Ross and Drew LeBlanc each posted a pair of assists in three games last week.