Each Monday, the Blackhawks Blog will highlight players who stood out for their minor-league, junior, college, or European teams in the previous week’s action. All prospect/system stats will be updated weekly throughout the 2015-16 season.
|(Photo courtesy Rockford IceHogs) |
1st Star: C Jake Dowell, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3G, 2A
Dowell is enjoying his most productive offensive stretch since signing a minor-league deal with the IceHogs this season, picking up five points in three games last week to extend his point streak to six games dating back to the beginning of December. The former Blackhawk tallied twice and added an assist in a 5-3 win over Texas last Tuesday, scored the game-winner in a 2-1 win over Iowa on Friday and picked up a helper the next night in Rockford’s 4-1 loss to Grand Rapids. Dowell shares the team lead with 17 points (6G, 11A) in 24 games this season.
|(Photo courtesy Michigan Athletics) |
2nd Star: C Tyler Motte, University of Michigan (BIG10)
The Line: 2GP, 2G, 2A
Motte broke out with two goals and two assists in Michigan’s 8-3 win over Minnesota last Friday. The 2013 fourth-round pick opened the scoring just 16 seconds into the contest, and he added a shorthanded tally in the third period, his first of the season. Motte shares the team lead and seventh in the nation with 11 goals this season, and his 16 points rank third on the Wolverines.
|(Getty Images) |
3rd Star: D Dennis Gilbert, University of Notre Dame (H-EAST)
The Line: 1GP, 1G, 1A
Gilbert’s goal at 19:38 of the third period was the finishing touch on Notre Dame’s impressive comeback victory, as they erased a 3-1 deficit against Hockey East rival Boston College last Thursday. It was the second tally of the season for the 2015 third-round pick, who added an assist in the contest for his second multi-point outing of the season. Gilbert now shares second among team defensemen with eight points in 17 games during his freshman campaign.
Honorable mentions: C Nick Schmaltz, University of North Dakota (NCHC); C John Hayden, Yale University (ECAC)
Schmaltz extended his point streak to 11 games with an assist in both of North Dakota’s shutout wins over Minnesota–Duluth over the weekend. The sophomore continues to share the NCAA lead with 23 assists and ranks fourth with 25 points in 20 games this season. Schmaltz will attend Team USA’s training camp beginning Tuesday in preparation for the 2016 U20 World Championship.
Hayden tallied twice—including a power-play goal and the game-winner—to lead Yale to a 3-2 win over Boston University on Friday, snapping a three-game losing streak. Hayden also collected a team-high four shots on goal in the contest. The 2013 third-round pick paces the Bulldogs with six goals and shares third with eight points in 12 games this season.
Around the system:
- In his last game with SHL’s Linkoping before departing for World Juniors camp, blueliner Gustav Forsling notched an assist on the game-winner in a 6-1 result over Karlskrona on Saturday… John Dahlstrom, a seventh-round pick in 2015, scored both of Frolunda’s goals in a 4-2 loss to Rogle on Sunday. He now has 11 goals, sharing fifth in the J20 SuperElit South division… Defenseman Robin Norell netted his first goal of the season on Saturday to help Djurgardens notch a 4-1 win over Vaxjo. The 2013 fourth-round selection now has four points in 27 games this season.
- Joni Tuulola picked up his fourth assist of the season for HPK in the Finnish league in a 4-1 victory over Lukko Rauma on Friday… Ivan Nalimov won both of his starts in the KHL last week, stopping 68 of 73 shots in two games for Admiral Vladivostok against Barys. Nalimov improved his record to 17-10-2 and now has a .911 save percentage in a career-high 31 appearances.
- North Dakota junior Luke Johnson posted a goal and a helper in the weekend sweep of UMD and now has nine points this season. He continues to pace the team with 181 draws won and a 54.7 faceoff win percentage.
- Garret Ross has picked up his scoring pace in December, adding two goals and an assist in three games last week, including his first multi-point outing of the season in Friday’s win over Iowa. He now has eight points in 23 games this season… Jeremy Morin compiled a goal and an assist over three games for the IceHogs and now ranks third with 15 points… Defenseman Viktor Svedberg picked up three assists last week and now has six helpers on the year.
- Corey Tropp collected a season-high three assists for the Albany Devils in a 3-1 win over Syracuse on Friday and totaled four helpers in three games last week. Tropp ranks fourth on the team with 16 points in 24 games this season.