Collection of Personal Information
- The NHL Parties and their agents and representatives collect personal information in a number of circumstances. For example, when you visit NHL.com or NHLNetwork.com, we may collect personal information from you such as name, home address, e-mail address, age, favorite NHL team, purchase history, products used or searched for, phone number used to call customer service and credit card information for purposes such as events and contests; registrations for our newsletter, multimedia offerings such as NHL GameCenter LIVE, social media pages, chat rooms, bulletin boards and other public forums such as NHL Connect; shopping in the shopping area at shop.nhl.com (the "Shop"); bidding on and purchasing items in the auction area at auction.nhl.com (the "Auction Site"); and participation in other promotions and interactive online activities. We may collect personal information with your consent or as required or permitted by law.
- Additionally, certain third parties (such as companies that run certain fantasy games on the website, and/or companies that run certain public forums like NHL Connect) may collect personal information from you and share some of the personal information with us. On these parts of the website, you will see additional information about the privacy practices of the companies who actually collect the data, including information on how to opt out of having these companies use your personal information for purposes unrelated to providing you the services that you are requesting from the website. These companies and not the NHL Parties are responsible for the treatment of your information by these companies.
- Web sites of NHL member teams may also collect personal information from you. These NHL member team web sites contain privacy polices (sometimes referred to as privacy statements) that you should review to understand how the applicable NHL member teams may use your information. The NHL member teams and not the NHL Parties are responsible for the treatment of your information by the NHL member teams. If you choose to register for any NHL member team web sites at the same time as you register for one of our web sites, the terms of the Privacy Policies for such NHL member team web sites are incorporated herein by reference.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
- We may use your personal information such as your name, home address and e-mail address to send marketing communications to you. We may use other personal information you provide, such as your favorite NHL team, to send you particular communications that we believe will be of interest to you. We may also share personal information amongst the NHL Parties and with the member teams of the National Hockey League for this same purpose. The NHL teams have informed us that they will enable you to opt out of receiving information from them. While most of our fans appreciate receiving marketing communications and having their personal information shared with NHL teams, we respect the right of each fan to control how his or her personal information is used. If you do not want us to provide your personal information to our teams, or if you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can opt out when the personal information is collected. In addition, if you are receiving marketing communications from us and wish to unsubscribe, you can do so by following the opt out instructions contained in the marketing communications you receive from us. For example, each of our marketing email messages contains an unsubscribe link that you can use to opt out of receiving marketing communications. Additionally, you can opt not to receive information from the NHL Parties at any time by logging into your account at NHL.com and adjusting your email preferences by clicking on "MY ACCOUNT" or going to https://account.nhl.com/registeredfanemailpreferences.htm; if you do not have an account at NHL.com, you can register at https://account.nhl.com/registeredfancreateaccount.htm, and then set your email preferences accordingly.
- We may also use your personal information such as your name, home address and e-mail address to send you offers from our marketing partners and other business partners, and we may share such personal information with certain of these partners so that they may send you offers directly, if you have opted to receive information from such partners. In addition, if you are a customer of our Shop residing in the U.S., and have opted to have us do so, we may furnish your personal information to entities ("Market Researchers") we believe to be trustworthy that may use this information to identify you as a prospect for one or more of the Market Researchers' customers. If they so identify you, they may provide and cross-reference information, including personally identifiable information, to certain of the Market Researchers' customers, who may contact you regarding services or products that may be of interest to you.
- If you have opted not to receive communications from us, we may share that information with third parties who send communications relating to our products or services to ensure that you do not receive those communications.
- Personal information may be used or disclosed among the NHL Parties (which includes organizations outside of Canada) for internal audit, management, billing or administrative purposes.
- We do provide personal information to agents who perform services for us or supply goods (such as fulfillment companies), including companies outside Canada. These agents are contractually prohibited from using the personal information for any purposes other than as directed by the NHL Parties, subject to requirements in relevant jurisdictions, including foreign jurisdictions, applicable to those organizations. For example, we may also share your personal information such as name, address and telephone number with certain third parties such as manufacturers of products you purchase to complete or ship your order or assist manufacturers with your questions concerning products offered by the Shop. Additionally, we employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. We may also employ other companies (including Market Researchers) and individuals to perform functions such as fulfilling orders, customizing products, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, performing credit checks and approvals, detecting fraudulent orders, processing credit card payments, collecting on delinquent accounts and providing customer service, and we may share your personal information with these companies and individuals. In addition, we may use information automatically collected from you, including the telephone number used to call customer service and information collected through cookies, for uses such as customer service and detection of fraudulent orders.
- We may also use aggregated, non personally identifying information collected from you when shopping at the Shop to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, to analyze site usage, improve our content and product offerings, and generally to improve the Shop and better tailor it to meet your needs.
- We also use personal information for: maintaining records for reasonable periods, and generally managing and administering our activities; meeting legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements; and otherwise with consent or as permitted or required by law.
- The NHL Parties may otherwise disclose personal information as necessary to meet legal, regulatory, insurance, audit and security requirements, with your consent, or as permitted or required by law.
- If you would like more information on our personal information sharing practices or the choices you have with regard to your data, please email email@example.com.
- Note that a third party may actually operate the Shop and use and disclose your personal information for that purpose among other purposes. The third party operator of the Shop and not the NHL Parties is responsible for the treatment of your information by the third party operator of the Shop. Information about the privacy practices of the third party operator of the Shop is on the shop.nhl.com website.
- NHL member teams may use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the privacy policies set forth on their web sites. You should review the privacy policies for NHL member team web sites to understand how the NHL member teams may use your information. The applicable NHL member team and not the NHL Parties is responsible for the treatment of your information by such NHL member team.
Cookies and Websites
- Web servers operated by us, and by third party service providers and advertisers, may automatically collect non-personal information about which pages you visit, as well as your IP address or domain name. We may use this information for various purposes, such as tailoring our web site content, targeting promotional messages, and assessing the amount of traffic to various parts of our web site. We may also provide this information on an aggregated, anonymous basis to our marketing partners and/or advertisers.
- We use third party analytics service providers to analyze the user experience on our websites by incorporating tracking pixels, agents or any other visitor identification technology that collects anonymous data. No personally identifiable information is ever collected from these analytics service providers. This analysis is performed using anonymous data collected from our websites.
- We have adopted reasonable security measures, appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information, against unauthorized access, disclosure, loss or destruction of personal information. These measures may include technological, physical and organizational methods of security.
Access, Correction and Contacting Us
- We maintain a file of the personal information you provide, which is accessible at NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC, 1185 Avenue of the Americas, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10036. Only authorized employees and agents of the NHL Parties who need access to your personal information in the course of their duties will have access to the information. Upon written request, you have the right to access your file and to challenge or request correction of any erroneous or out-of-date personal information about you that is in our possession or control. In some limited circumstances, we may not be able to grant you access to your information, for example, if doing so would threaten the security of another individual. If you wish to access your personal information in the possession/control of the NHL Parties or make corrections to it, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any comments, complaints or questions about our privacy or security practices or about your information that is in our possession/control, including its accuracy or integrity, or if you wish to change your preferences as to how we use the information, please send an e-mail to Privacy Director at email@example.com.
- The nhl.com, nhl.tv and nhlnetwork.com websites are operated by NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC, for the benefit of the National Hockey League member teams, our affiliates and corporate sponsors. All questions about our policies related to children's personal information and our personal information sharing practices should be directed to NHL ICE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your California Privacy Rights
- Pursuant to California law, certain customers who are California residents have a right to prevent disclosure to third parties for their direct marketing purposes of the customer’s personal information that he/she provided to us. Those customers may do so by filling out the form on http://nhl.ed4.net/enroll/login.cfm to update their profile, and we extend this right to all other customers as well.
Children's Privacy Statement (users under 13 years old)
- We take our responsibilities to our younger visitors seriously. It is the intention of NHL ICE, the operator of this website, and the other NHL Parties to fully comply with the requirements of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act and the Guidelines promulgated by the Children's Advertising Review Unit of the Better Business Bureau.
- In general, we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 ("children") via the website, and we use age screening mechanisms to help prevent children from posting personal information on the website, such as in our fan chat rooms. We do not require children to register or to otherwise disclose personal information to participate in the activities in any KIDS section(s) of our website.
- From time to time, we may offer children the opportunity to enter promotions or contests. In those cases, the child will be asked only to provide an email address, as well as his or her parent's email address. Upon receipt of the information, we will send an email to the parent indicating that the child has registered, providing information on the program and giving instruction on how the parent can remove the child from the promotion or contest. We will then use the information only to notify the contest winners and their parents that they have won. We require that the winner's parent provide us with all information needed to award the prize. Information collected during the contest will not be used or stored after the contest ends, other than as needed for legal requirements in connection with the promotion. In no event will NHL.com collect any personal information from children in connection with an on-line contest or promotion other than email address and parent's email address. In no event will NHL.com use the personal information other than for purposes of awarding contest prizes.
- We may also post information on the website about other promotions or contests that are open to children but that require other personal information (such as home address or favorite hockey team) to enter. For these contests, children will be required to print a paper entry form from the website and have their parents sign and mail or fax the form to us. Children are not permitted to independently provide personal information via the website or to enter these contests online.
Last updated as of March 14, 2010