Collection of Information
When you visit the NHL mobile sites using a mobile device, we may collect certain types of information that are unique to the mobile environment. For example:
• Your service provider may assign you a unique identifier for your mobile device, and we may receive and collect that unique mobile device identifier and associate it with other information we have collected about you.
• We may collect information about your device type, your carrier, your phone number, and basic usage information about your device.
• We also may obtain information about your location, including your IP address, the billing postal code or zip code provided by your service provider or carrier, and information derived from pinpointing technology such as GPS and cell tower information.
While the above information is unique to the mobile environment, we may also collect information when you visit the NHL mobile sites that are similar to the information that we collect on our NHL.com website. For example:
• We may collect contact information from you such as name, home address, e-mail address, and phone number, if you choose to use our subscription services or otherwise choose to provide this information.
• We may collect information about your activities on the mobile sites, including the information that you view.
As we expand our mobile service offerings, we may collect additional categories of information. This could include:
• Your age and date of birth and other demographic information, such as gender.
• Information about your activities when you search, shop for items, bid on auctions, or participate in other promotions and interactive online activities.
• Communications that you make through the mobile sites.
We also may collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications and commercially available sources. Additionally, certain third parties (such as companies that may run services on the mobile sites, such as shopping or online auction features, fantasy games, and certain public forums like NHL Connect) may collect personal information from you and share some of the personal information with us. These companies, and not NHL ICE, are responsible for their handling of the information that they collect about you.
Cookies and Mobile Sites
Use of Information
We will use the information we collect from you and your mobile device for the following general purposes:
• Provide customer service and support for your use of our products and services;
• Provide and enhance our services, including location-based services, subscriptions, forums, and surveys;
• Respond to your requests for services and information;
• Provide you with special offers, promotional materials and tailored advertising, including location-based advertising, in accordance with applicable law;
• Analyze the use of the mobile sites and information about visitors to the sites, including to determine what content we should offer on the mobile sites;
• Customize the content you see when you visit a mobile site;
• Manage and administer our activities; satisfy legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements; and otherwise with consent or as permitted or required by law;
• Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities and otherwise in accordance with our Terms of Service; and
• For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or with your consent.
Disclosure of Information
We are committed to maintaining your trust and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share information collected about you.
• Authorized third-party service providers. We provide information to agents who perform services for us or supply goods, including companies within or outside the United States and Canada. These agents are contractually prohibited from using the personal information they receive from us for any purposes other than as we direct, subject to requirements in relevant jurisdictions, including foreign jurisdictions, applicable to those organizations. For example, we may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions such as analyzing data, providing marketing research or assistance, and providing customer service, and we may share your personal information with these companies and individuals for these purposes.
• NHL entities and NHL member teams. We may share your information amongst the NHL family of entities and with the member teams of the National Hockey League, including for internal audit, management, marketing, billing or administrative purposes. While most of our fans appreciate receiving marketing communications and having their personal information shared with NHL teams, we respect the right of each fan to control how his or her personal information is used. If you do not want us to provide your personal information to our teams, or if you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can opt out when the personal information is collected. In addition, if you are receiving marketing communications from us and wish to unsubscribe, you can do so by following the opt out instructions contained in the marketing communications you receive from us. The NHL teams also have informed us that they will enable you to opt out of receiving information from them.
• NHL business partners. The NHL may from time to time work with reputable third-party business partners with whom we may share your personal information so they can send you information about products and services that may interest you in accordance with applicable law. We will give you a choice about whether you want us to share your personal information with business partners for our partners’ marketing purposes at the time your personal information is collected, and you can request that we not share your information with business partners for these purposes at no cost.
• Legal requirements. We may disclose information about our users, including contact information, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, government inquiries, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with our legal obligations.
• Protect our users. We may disclose information to protect and defend the legal rights, interests, and safety of NHL ICE, other NHL entities, National Hockey League teams, and any of their employees, agents, and contractors (including enforcing our agreements); to protect the safety and security of others; to investigate possible violations of our Terms of Service or any law; and as otherwise disclosed in our Terms of Service.
If you would like more information on our personal information sharing practices or the choices you have with regard to your data, please email email@example.com.
We have adopted reasonable security measures, appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information, against unauthorized access, disclosure, or loss or destruction of personal information. These measures may include technological, physical and organizational methods of security.
Access and Correction
To the extent we collect any contact information from you, such as name, email, phone number or address, we will maintain a file of the information. Upon written request, you may review the contact information that we have collected about you and may request correction of any erroneous or out-of-date contact information that is in our possession or control. In some limited circumstances, we may not be able to grant you access to your information, for example, if doing so would threaten the security of another individual. If you wish to access your contact information in our file or request corrections to it, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
United States Privacy and Data Protection Laws Govern
Children's Privacy Statement (users under 13 years old)
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 via mobile sites, and if we learn that we have collected such information we will remove it from our database.
Last Updated: 9/9/10