• In 2010-11, Murphy finished first among Ontario Hockey League defensemen with 26 goals and second with 79 points (26-53--79) in 63 games. He was voted into the top three by the league’s Western Conference coaches in the Smartest Player and Best Offensive Defenseman category this season.
• As a rookie with Kitchener in 2010, he was an integral part of the team’s playoff run recording 17 points (5-12--17) in 20 games, helping the Rangers reach the semi-finals.
• After being cut from the Under-18 team in August and Canada’s World Junior team in December 2010, Murphy made his Team Canada debut in April at the 2011 Under-18 World Championships in Germany. He led the team and all defensemen with 13 points (4-9--13) in seven games and was named the Top Defenseman of the tournament -- Canada finished fourth.
• Murphy played youth hockey alongside Daniel Catenacci (No. 37 ranked) and Barclay Goodrow (No. 116 ranked) on the York Simcoe Express winning the Ontario Minor Hockey Association AAA championships in Bantam (2008) and Peewee (2006). It was his York Simcoe Express coach, Maurice Catenacci, who helped develop his offensive skills and made him believe in his ability as a defenseman.
• His favorite hockey player growing up was former NHLer Kris King because “he always provided great advice and he was a great guy”.
• If given the opportunity to have dinner with any three people, he would choose Bill Gates, Oprah, and Sidney Crosby so he “won’t have to pay the bill.”
NHL team: Chicago Blackhawks NHL player: Mike Green Shootout move: “Bar down” Celebration: “No celly (celebration), always classy” Movie: Miracle TV show: Entourage Actress: Jessica Alba Music artist: Drake Website: Facebook.com Book: Harry Potter Series Home-cooked meal: Lasagna Activity away from the rink: Hanging out with friends