• In his second year with the Petes, Kassian finished second in scoring with 63 points (36-33-69) in 61 games, including 13 power-play goals. Known for his physical play, he also finished in the top 20 in the Ontario Hockey League with 136 penalty minutes.
• Highlights of 2008-09 season included two points (1-1-2) in the OHL All-Star Classic, representing the OHL in the Canada/Russia Challenge, and being selected to the 2009 CHL Top Prospects game.
• Kassian represented Team Canada, winning a gold-medal at the 2008 Ivan Hlinka Memorial and finishing fourth at the 2009 Under-18 World Championships.
• He first began playing hockey with the Kingsville Kings when he was eight and he credits his brother for having the biggest influence on his career – “he’s always there for me and tells me what I need to hear”.
• If he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose Todd Bertuzzi, Tiger Woods and Cam Neely “because they all have something about themselves which makes them unique”.
• His most embarrassing hockey moment was playing with two sticks at the same time on the penalty kill and his childhood hockey hero was Bobby Orr.
NHL Team: Toronto Maple Leafs NHL Player: Todd Bertuzzi Shootout move: Shot (glove side high) Video game: NHL ‘09 Movie: Step Brothers TV Show: Man Hunter Cartoon: Bugs Bunny Website: dropyourgloves.com Book: Hockey tough Pump up song: “Thunderstruck” by ACDC Restaurant: Applebee’s Activity away from the rink: Xbox 360 Breakfast food: Steak and eggs Superhero: Superman
It was kind of touching. I didn't know really what to expect. I'm very appreciative and thankful for the people that supported me in my time here ... as I said, we'll move back to the area at some point in our life.
— Toronto coach Randy Carlyle on the video tribute and ovation he received in his first game back in Anaheim, a 3-1 win for the Maple Leafs