• Patrolling the blue-line for Modo in the Swedish Elite League, Hedman recorded 21 points (7-14-21) in 43 games to earn the Rookie of the Year honors in 2008-09.
• For the second year in a row, he represented Team Sweden at the World Junior Championships, winning a silver medal each year -- in 2008 he was an All-Star selection. Hedman also represented Sweden on the Under-18 team, winning a gold medal at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament and a bronze at the World Championships.
• He was born in Ornskoldsvik, Sweden; a town of less than 55,000 people known for producing star NHL players, including: Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Daniel and Henrik Sedin and Niklas Sundstrom.
• A familiar opponent this season was his brother, Oscar, who plays for Frolunda HC. His oldest brother, Johan, plays for Morrum in the Swedish Elite League Division II.
• At the age of five Hedman began skating, trying to follow in his older brothers footsteps – “my brothers and my parents have always supported me and have been a big part of my career”.
• He patterns his game after top Swedish defenseman and Detroit captain Nicklas Lidstrom and his most memorable international hockey moment was watching Sweden capture the 2006 Olympics and World Championships.
• Outside of hockey, Hedman has a love for flying (his grandfather was a pilot in the military) and he hopes to get his pilot’s license in the near future.
NHL Team: Detroit Red Wings NHL Player: Detroit’s Nicklas Lidstrom Shootout Move: Backhand Movie: Batman TV Show: Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill Video Game: FM '08 and FM '09 Actor: Christian Bale Artist: Johnny Cash Website: Facebook.com Pre-game meal: Pasta and Chicken
NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is now NHL.TV™.
Watch out-of-market games and replays with an all new redesigned media player, mobile and connected device apps.
Introducing the new official NHL App, available for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones and tablets. A host of new features and improved functionality are available across all platforms, including a redesigned league-wide scoreboard, expanded news coverage, searchable video highlights, individual team experiences* and more. The new NHL App on your tablet also introduces new offerings such as 60fps video, Multitasking** and Picture-in-Picture.
*Available only for smartphones
** Available only for suported iPads