• Costello will suit up for the Fighting Irish at the University of Notre Dame in 2010.
• He got started in hockey at the age of three, first by rollerblading, to try and keep up with his two older brothers.
• Growing up in Milwaukee, and playing his minor hockey in Chicago, he often commuted 90 minutes to play and credits his dad for having the biggest influence on his career – “he hauled me around all over the country to help me pursue my dream”.
• His childhood hockey idol was Pavel Bure and he follows the motto “pain is temporary, victory is forever”.
• In 2003, while playing for the Chicago Young Americans in a tournament in Toronto, Ontario, Costello finished second in a skills competition to Steven Stamkos.
NHL Team: Detroit NHL Player: Alex Ovechkin Shootout move: “Fake shot, deke backhand five-hole) Goal celebration: “Two arms up” Video game: Halo 3 Movie: Green Street Hooligans Reality Show: Real World Actor: Will Smith Cartoon: Spongebob Squarepants Website: Facebook Book: Kiss the Girls by James Patterson Pump up song: “Riot” by Three Days Grace Restaurant: Ruby Tuesdays Sport (other than hockey): Golf Place to visit: Florida Snack: Powerbar Superhero: Batman
It was kind of touching. I didn't know really what to expect. I'm very appreciative and thankful for the people that supported me in my time here ... as I said, we'll move back to the area at some point in our life.
— Toronto coach Randy Carlyle on the video tribute and ovation he received in his first game back in Anaheim, a 3-1 win for the Maple Leafs