• A knee injury suffered in a 2011-12 OHL preseason game limited Galchenyuk to all but the last two regular season games and six games playoff games -- he recorded four points (2-2--4) during Sarnia’s first round loss to Saginaw.
• In 2010-11, Galchenyuk finished second among Ontario Hockey League rookies with 83 points (31-52--83), behind only his teammate and good friend Nail Yakupov (49-52--101).
• He was the fourth U.S.-born player to be selected first overall in the OHL priority draft (2010), joining Pat Peake (1990), Patrick O'Sullivan (2001) and Rob Schremp (2002). Prior to being drafted, Galchenyuk competed for the Chicago Young Americans of the Midwest Elite League for the 2009-10 season -- he led the league in scoring (by 33 points) totaling 87 points (44-43--87) in 38 games.
• His father, Alex Sr., played for Belarus at the 1998 Nagano Olympics and was a member of the Soviet Union team that won the World Junior Championship in 1986. He has chosen to compete for the U.S. internationally.
• Galchenyuk was born in Wisconsin, while his father was a center for the American Hockey League's Milwaukee Admirals, and has lived overseas in Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Russia. He speaks Italian, Russian and English.
CHICAGO YOUNG AMERICANS
CHICAGO YOUNG AMERICANS U18
NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is now NHL.TV™.
Watch out-of-market games and replays with an all new redesigned media player, mobile and connected device apps.
Introducing the new official NHL App, available for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones and tablets. A host of new features and improved functionality are available across all platforms, including a redesigned league-wide scoreboard, expanded news coverage, searchable video highlights, individual team experiences* and more. The new NHL App on your tablet also introduces new offerings such as 60fps video, Multitasking** and Picture-in-Picture.
*Available only for smartphones
** Available only for suported iPads