• At 18 years of age, Gelinas led all Lewiston defensemen in points, registering 10 goals and 29 assists in 67 games in 2008-09. He also participated in the 2009 CHL Top Prospects Game.
• His father, Marc, was drafted by Major League Baseball’s Pittsburgh Pirates in 1978 and his older brother, Karl, was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels in 2003. Eric and Karl, who currently plays in the Canadian-American Baseball League with the Quebec Capitales, train together in the summer.
• Born in Vanier, Ontario, before moving to Montreal at the age of seven, Gelinas played on his first hockey team the Rockland Nats at the age of four following in the footsteps of his older brother.
• He patterns his game after Anaheim defenseman Chris Pronger and wears number 44 because Pronger used to wear it.
• He credits his parents for having the most influence on his career for their encouragement and support and if he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose his parents and brother “because they are the people I love the most in the world”.
GELINAS BLOGS FOR THE HOCKEY NEWS
“Fake slap-shot and go top shelf on the backhand.”
“Fist pump followed up with pointing to the guy that fed me the puck.”
Two and a Half Men
Dave Morrissette’s book
Sport (other than hockey):
Golf and Tennis
Activity away from the rink: