- DRAFT PROSPECT CARD - 2014
North American Skater
|LAST CLUB TEAM:
||January 11, 1992
||Sherwood Park, AB
||Edmonton, AB, CAN
• Pysyk recorded 24 points (7-17--24) playing 48 games in his second WHL season before it was cut short by a broken foot. Despite the injury, he was named the Edmonton Oil Kings Most Valuable Player, the Top Defenseman and the Scholastic Player of the Year in 2009-10.
• The first-ever Bantam draft pick (3rd overall in 2007) for the Oil Kings, an expansion team, he averaged more than 20 minutes per-game as a 16-year-old in 2008-09. He also earned a spot on Canada’s Under-18 team at the 2009 Ivan Hlinka tournament alongside fellow top-rated defensemen Erik Gudbranson and Brandon Gormley.
• His favorite number is three, but it was a number four signature that required him to wear an old jersey for his first home game after the 2010 CHL Top Prospects Game. Bobby Orr, his coach at the event, signed the jersey he had brought for the skills competition: “I had to wear my old one because the other one has a Bobby Orr autograph on it. But it's Bobby Orr! I think I was the only guy that got it signed. But why not? I can just take the number off and have that as a keepsake.”
• Pysyk models his game after Nashville defenseman Shea Weber because of his solid two-way game and he credits Dave Morrow, his best friend’s dad, for having the most influence on his career for all of his coaching out on the pond.
• One of his pre-game rituals is wearing his grandfather’s cuff links to every game and his hockey hero growing up was Jarome Iginla because his grandfather was a fan of both Iginla and the Calgary Flames.
NHL Team: Calgary Flames
NHL Players: Jarome Iginla and Mike Green
Shootout move: Top secret
Video Game: NHL '10, FIFA '10
Movie: Remember the Titans, Dumb and Dumber
TV Show: Friends
Actor: Jim Carrey
Cartoon: Family Guy
Book: Loonie for Luck
Restaurant: Joey Tomatoes (Ribs)
Sport (other than hockey): Golf, Volleyball
Activity away from the rink: Water sports
Breakfast food: Eggs
Superhero: The Joker (Batman)