Moncton Wildcats goaltender Alex Dubeau did something Sunday that no one in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League had been able to do in more than a year.
The 18-year-old goalie stopped all 25 shots the Mooseheads threw at him in a 3-0 win. It was the first time Halifax had been shut out in 80 games, dating to Oct. 21, 2011.
Halifax entered the game with a league-high 126 goals in 24 games, an average of 5.25 goals per game, and featured two of the top 10 scorers in the league in Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin. However, the 5-foot-9, 150-pound Dubeau stood tall to earn his second shutout of the season.
Dubeau now is 12-9-0 with a 3.01 goals-against average that ranks as the fifth best in the league, and an .887 save percentage.
While Dubeau's performance might have been the most impressive among 2013 NHL Draft candidates in the league, here is how a few other draft-eligible prospects fared this weekend:
* MacKinnon and Drouin weren't shut out on Friday, as they combined for five points in a 4-2 win against the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. MacKinnon had a goal and two assists, while Drouin had a pair of assists. MacKinnon and Drouin are 1-2 in NHL Central Scouting's top 25 ranking of QMJHL skaters for this year's draft.
* Quebec Remparts left wing Anthony Duclair, No. 8 on Central Scouting's top 25, had three assists Friday in a 6-0 defeat of the Sherbrooke Phoenix. Teammate Nick Sorensen, No. 16, had two goals and an assist. Goalie Zachary Fortin made 24 saves for the shutout.
* Chicoutimi center Laurent Dauphin had a goal and two assists in the Sagueneens' 5-4 shootout win Friday at the Victoriaville Tigres.
* Rouyn-Noranda goalie Alexandre Belanger earned his first QMJHL shutout by stopping all 24 shots in 4-0 win against the Shawinigan Cataractes on Friday. Teammates Jean-Sebastien Dea and Sven Andrighetto had a goal and an assist each.
* Blainville-Boisbriand Armada goalie Etienne Marcoux stopped all 16 shots in 3-0 win at the Gatineau Olympiques on Friday.
* Drummondville right wing Jerome Verrier scored two goals in the Voltigeurs' 7-5 loss at the Rimouski Oceanic on Friday, and scored two more Sunday -- including the game-winner -- in a 5-2 defeat of Victoriaville.
*Rimouski center Frederik Gauthier had a goal and two assists Friday in the 7-5 win against Drummondville.
* Baie-Comeau left wing Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau scored twice in the Drakkar's 6-5 loss to Moncton on Saturday.
* Rouyn-Noranda left wing Anthony Mantha extended his scoring streak to five games with a goal and an assist in the Huskies' 4-1 defeat of Shawinigan on Saturday. He has at least two points in each game of his streak, and his 23 goals are tied for the league lead.
* Baie-Comeau center Miguel Caron scored twice in his team's 5-4 loss at Saint John on Sunday.
* Blainville-Boisbriand right wing Philippe Sanche had a goal and three assists in a 5-2 win against Gatineau on Sunday.
Contact Adam Kimelman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK
|Back to top|