St. Paul, MN – August 6, 2009 – Minnesota Hockey has announced the creation of the Minnesota Hockey Recreational Hockey League. The League will begin play in late November emphasizing a one-day-per-week, low cost hockey option for players aged 10-15.
“The creation of this League is in response to several young players and their families asking for an option that allowed them to continue playing hockey but also have significant time to do other things in the winter,” said Mike Snee, Executive Director of Minnesota Hockey. “This League will be ideal for the young hockey player that also wants to participate in other winter sports, stay active in Scouts, or in general just pursue other interests.”
The League will offer four (4) playing classifications, all of which are co-ed:
• 15U with checking – 12 games - $425 entry fee
• 15U no checking – 12 games - $425 entry fee
• 13U no checking - 12 games - $350 entry fee
• 11U no checking – 12 games - $350 entry fee
Other highlights of the new League include:
• Players can pick the league that best suits their interests and playing ability.
• Players can sign up as an individual, with a handful of requested teammates, or they can even create their own team.
• Rosters can be made up of players from anywhere in Minnesota and no Association waiver is needed to join a team.
• All games will be played at Twin Cities-area ice arenas.
• Games will mostly occur on one consistent night of the week
• Pre-season skills clinic and end-of-season festival
"My family loves hockey, but we realized we couldn't have all our children involved in travel hockey and still enjoy other winter activities or simply a day of rest. We're very excited the Minnesota Hockey Recreational League will provide an opportunity for our children to play organized hockey again," said Sean Marsan of Eden Prairie, MN.
More details about the Minnesota Hockey Recreational League will be released soon. For more information, please visit www.minnesotahockey.org
or send an email to email@example.com
. Minnesota Hockey
, a USA Hockey affiliate, is the governing body of youth hockey in Minnesota. With over 63,000 registered players and coaches, it is one of the largest state governing bodies for hockey in the United States.