The Dallas Stars had its Alumni Classic game this past weekend and decided to invite some of the former players to participate in the 2011 Dallas Stars Dr Pepper Golf Classic presented by Audi.
This year’s event was held on Monday at the prestigious Royal Oaks Country Club in Dallas. The field included 128 golfers, including the entire Dallas Stars team, coaches and alumni like Guy Carbonneau, Richard Matvichuk, Pat Verbeek, Andy Moog, Mike Keane, Bob Bassen, Brett Hull and Mike Modano.
The golf tournament raised close to $120,000 for the Dallas Stars Foundation, which awards grants to local children’s charities every year.
The Dallas Stars Ice Girls were at the event, as was the Ticket’s BaD Radio with a live remote broadcast (complete with Ticket Chicks). A cigar roller was a big hit while Dallas Stars’ wives and girlfriends assisted in passing out golfer gifts. Each golfer received a duffle bag, a Dallas Stars polo, a golf glove and a dozen golf balls, all from Nike Golf, a case of Dr Pepper product and a $50 gift card from Starpower.
Golf was followed by an awards dinner in the main ballroom of Royal Oaks. Ralph Strangis and Daryl Reaugh emceed the event, awarding prizes to the winning teams and winners of the hole contests.
Hole Contest Winners:
- Closest to the pin, Hole #4: Guy Carbonneau – won a Nike VR Wedge
- Closest to the pin, Hole #8: Matt Wells – won a 46” Sony TV
- Closest to the pin, Hole #12: Loui Eriksson – won a round of golf for 4 at Royal Oaks
- Closest to the pin, Hole #16: Chuck Palmer – won a $200 gift certificate to Steel Restaurant and Lounge
- Longest Drive, Hole #2: Bill Keaton – won a weekend test drive in an Audi A8 and dinner for two at Craft Restaurant
- Longest Drive, Hole #11 – Michael Ryder $200 gift certificate to III Forks
- Guy Carbonneau, Loui Eriksson and Michael Ryder were all generous, donating their prizes to the raffle so guests could win the prizes
- Last Place Team: Kari Lehtonen, Matt Ellis, Tim Heavey, and Chad Rehrig – won gift cards to Top Golf
- Third Place Team: Ralph Strangis, Jon Heidtke, Jeff Gibson and Mike Moon – won 4 Sony Digital cameras
- Second Place Team: Mike Ribeiro, Don Lambrecht, Tom Hutton and Craig Bowen – won 4 MindSpas from Hastens
- First Place Team: Jere Lehtinen, Tod Taylor and Brennan Little – won 4 VR Tour Drivers, 4 Method Core Putters and 4 Stand bags from Nike Golf
David Feherty was the featured guest/speaker at the post-golf dinner and he addressed the crowd after the prizes had been handed out – on behalf of the Dallas Stars, Ralph and Razor presented him with a “Feherty” #18 Dallas Stars jersey that he wore throughout his talk.
He then spontaneously held a live auction, for someone to spend the day with him, whether it’s at the TV studio and making a guest appearance on his show, or at one of the local professional golf tournaments. The auction raised an additional $10,000 for the Foundation!
The Stars and the Dallas Stars Foundation with like to say thank you to our main sponsors: Dr Pepper, Audi, Brown-Forman, Ben E. Keith, as well as a thank you to Royal Oaks for hosting a great tournament. Thank you to our raffle and prize sponsors: American Airlines, Four Seasons Resort and Club Dallas, Nike Golf, Sony, Steel Restaurant and Lounge, III Forks, Top Golf, and Hastens.