Do you remember where you were on March 20, 1996?
Just 5,776 short days ago the Sharks were in Winnipeg where they defeated the Jets, 7-1, on a hat trick by Jeff Friesen. San Jose goaltender Arturs Irbe stopped 26 of the 27 shots he faced, while Jets goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin was pulled in the third period after giving up his sixth goal against. Sharks center and current radio broadcaster Jamie Baker was a minus-1 in the game (sorry Bakes!).
Prior to tonight's game between the Sharks and the Jets at the MTC Centre in Winnipeg, that was the last time San Jose had made the trip to Manitoba for an NHL game. This got us to thinking, what was going on in the World at that time?
WHEN THE SHARKS LAST PLAYED IN WINNIPEG...
|Sharks captain Joe Thornton was 17 years old the last time San Jose visited Winnipeg. © San Jose Sharks |
- San Jose's leading goal scorer was Owen Nolan, captain was Jeff Odgers, goaltender was Arturs Irbe, head coach was Jim Wiley, assistant coach was current Assistant GM Wayne Thomas.
- Current Sharks captain Joe Thornton was on his way to claiming the OHL's 'Rookie of the Year' honors for his 76-point season (30 goals, 46 assists) with the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds.
- Current Sharks alternate captain Patrick Marleau began his rookie season with the WHL's Seattle Thunderbirds, leading the team with 74 points (32 goals, 42 points).
Current Sharks All-Star Logan Couture was six years old.
|Sharks All-Star Logan Couture pictured with Blue Jays SS Alex Gonzales. © San Jose Sharks |
- The San Francisco Giants were in the midst of Spring Training. All-Star slugger Barry Bonds was primed for his fourth season with the Giants and entered the 1996 season with 292 career home runs.
- The San Francisco 49ers had completed their 1995 season 11-5, but fell to the Green Bay Packers, 27-17, on Jan. 6, 1996 in the Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs at Candlestick Park.
- The NHL's trade deadline (on March 20) saw the Sharks trade LW Kevin Miller to the Penguins in exchange for Pittsburgh's fifth round pick in the 1996 draft and future considerations.
- Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow was eight years old.
- 'One Sweet Day' by Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men was Billboard's No. 1 song.
- 'Macarena' was the nation's biggest dance craze.
- 'Braveheart' had just taken home five Academy Awards including Best Picture.
- Less than a week later, 'Kiss from a Rose' by Seal would take home the Grammy for Record of the Year. Alanis Morissette's 'Jagged Little Pill' would win Album of the Year.
In the News
- The Dow Jones closed at 5,655.42.
Apple stock closed at $25.25.
|Sharks alternate captain Patrick Marleau while playing juniors for the Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL). © San Jose Sharks |
- The cost of a gallon of gas was $1.22.
- Bill Clinton was the President of the United States (in his first term).
- The city of Atlanta -- the place where the Jets would relocated to becoming the Atlanta Thrashers -- was preparing for the 1996 Olympic Games.
- The search engine that would eventually become Google already existed. It was hosted on Stanford's network and was called BackRub.
Top Tweets: #WhenTheSharksLastPlayedinWinnipeg
- @brodiebrazilCSN: I had braces.
- @TheTealLadies: Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley were still married! WOW!
- @Benton_Mike: I owned a pair of L.A. Gear shoes
- @sirjordandodge: The West Side Story jokes were played out...
Did we miss something in this list? Tweet @SanJoseSharks
and we'll be sure to add it and give you credit.