To celebrate Sharks history, each week we will highlight moments of the past. So check back to the Daily Chomp each week to celebrate with us for Throwback Thursday. In addition, we will be giving away special Sharks throwback items every Thursday.
This week the Daily Chomp takes a look at the Sharks 2003-04 season.
Did you know... For the first time in franchise history, the Sharks advanced to the Western Conference Finals.More from that year:
- The Sharks captured their second Pacific Division title by recording a franchise best 104 points in the regular season.
- San Jose set a record by playing 11 consecutive home games without a loss from Nov. 15-Dec. 29 (7-0-4-0) and by recording eight consecutive home wins from Jan. 28-March 3.
- The Sharks set records in road points (47), shutouts (11) and most wins in a calendar month (10 — March).
- G Evgeni Nabokov set a franchise record with nine shutouts.
- LW Nils Ekman set a franchise record by compiling a plus-30 plus/minus rating for the season
- RW Jonathan Cheechoo set a franchise record with nine game-winning goals on the season.
- D Brad Stuart scored two goals in the last 17 seconds of regulation on April 4, 2003 vs. Los Angeles.
Also, be sure to check out the Sharks History Page
and the Photo of the Day
. Pop Culture of that year:
- Lance Armstrong won his 5th Tour de France title.
- The biggest blackout in North American history affected over 50 million Americans and Canadians.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected the Governor of California.
- Apple launched iTunes, which sold 10 million songs in its first four months of operation.
- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, won 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture.
Sharks Throwback Giveaway
Fill out the form below for a chance to win a unique Sharks Throwback prize. Increase your chances of winning and tweet using #SharksThrowback or text "Throwback" to 74499. This giveaway contest has ended and is closed for further submissions.