To celebrate Sharks history, each week we will highlight moments of the past. So check back to the Daily Chomp each week to celebrate with us for Throwback Thursday. In addition, we will be giving away special Sharks throwback items every Thursday.
This week the Daily Chomp takes a look at the Sharks 1996-97 season.
Did you know... the 47th NHL All-Star Game was played at San Jose Arena on January 18.More from that year:
- Al Sims was named head coach on June 6.
- Signed Ron Sutter, Tony Granato, Bernie Nichols and Kelly Hrudey.
- Acquired Ed Belfour, Marty McSorley, Al Iafrate and Todd Gill.
- Nicholls played in his NHL 1,000th game at St. Louis on October 20.
- Gill became the fourth team captain in franchise history on December 3.
- Owen Nolan recorded a hat trick in the All-Star Game in front of his home crowd.
- Granato also represented the Sharks as an All-Star as the commissioner's special selection
- Granato became the first player in franchise history to win a major postseason NHL award by receiving the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy on June 21.
Also, be sure to check out the Sharks History Page
and the Photo of the Day
. 1996 Pop Culture:
- Ebay started the online auction and shopping website, where people buy and sell goods and services worldwide.
- Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be successfully cloned
- American Pathfinder launched on its 310 million mile mission to Mars
- Spice Girls First Number 1 "Wannabe" hit record stores
- People thought aliens would take over the planet after seeing Independence Day
- Ali Landry won Miss USA
- Tickle Me Elmo toys were flying off the shelves
- The hottest dance was the Macarena
Sharks Throwback Giveaway
Fill out the form below for a chance to win a unique Sharks Throwback prize. Increase your chances of winning and tweet using #SharksThrowback or text "Throwback" to 74499.
This giveaway contest has ended and is closed for any further submissions.
Last week's winner from Throwback Thursday was Melisa D. Here she is sporting her brand new Sharks throwback jersey: