To celebrate Sharks history, each week we will highlight moments of the past. So check back to the Daily Chomp each week to celebrate with us for Throwback Thursday. In addition, we will be giving away special Sharks throwback items every Thursday.
This week the Daily Chomp takes a look at the Sharks 1993-94 season.
Did you know... the Sharks first playoff appearance came in 1993-94 where San Jose upset top-seeded Detroit in the opening round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.More from that year:
- Sharks finished 33-35-16 (82 points) and make first playoff appearance in club history. This marked the greatest single-season turnaround in NHL history — 58 points better than 1992-93’s output of 24 points (11-71-2).
- G Arturs Irbe and D Sandis Ozolinsh participated in the NHL All-Star Game at New York’s Madison Square Garden.
- Team recorded a nine-game unbeaten streak (7-0-2).
- Rookie Head Coach Kevin Constantine finishes second in voting for Jack Adams Award (NHL Coach of the Year).
- Irbe sets NHL record for most minutes played in a season (4,412).
- Sergei Makarov becomes the first 30-goal scorer in franchise history.
- Signed free agents Jamie Baker and Bob Errey and acquired Ulf Dahlen, Gaetan Duchesne, Todd Elik and Jeff Norton.
Also, be sure to check out the Sharks History Page
and the Photo of the Day
. 1993 Pop Culture:
- Beanie Babies and Power Rangers were flying off the toy shelves.
- Steven Spielberg brought dinosaurs to life in Jurassic Park.
- The average cost to go see a movie was $4.14.
- You couldn't get Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" out of your head.
- 60 Minutes celebrated its 25th anniversary.
- Pamela Anderson traded in her tools from Tool Time for a swimsuit to patrol the beaches of Baywatch.
Sharks Throwback Giveaway
Fill out the form below for a chance to win a unique Sharks Throwback prize. Increase your chances of winning and tweet using #SharksThrowback or text "Throwback" to 74499.
This giveaway has ended and is closed for any further submissions.