Skip to main content
The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks

Sharks Run Out of Time, Fall 3-2 to Oilers

by San Jose Sharks Staff / San Jose Sharks

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose and Edmonton rekindled their rivalry Thursday night at HP Pavilion with Evgeni Nabokov and Mathieu Garon manning the creases. Patrick Marleau missed his second consecutive contest with a sore groin.

Nineteen seconds in, San Jose was on the power play, but could not take advantage. It was the Sharks penalty killers that stole the show early in the stanza while down two men.

Milan Michalek and Sandis Ozolinsh were called for simultaneous penalties and the Sharks had to kill off two full minutes of five-on-three time. Nabokov was tested on two occasions, but Team Teal’s shorthanded units did their job and kept the game scoreless.

With less than 10 left in the first, San Jose had more than 1:40 of their own five-on-three time, but it was fruitless as well.

San Jose had two late first period power plays, but the game would remain scoreless after 20 minutes.

A minute and a half into the second, Edmonton had taken the lead courtesy of a man-advantage. Alex Hemsky was standing to Nabokov’s right and got just enough of a shot to point it across the goal line.

Edmonton made it 2-0 midway through the period on a slick tally by Kyle Brodziak. Taking a pass across the slot, Brodziak controlled the play with his foot and pushed the puck into a shooting position. The Oilers center tossed it on net just before Nabokov slid over and doubled the lead.

San Jose nearly scored on a tremendous effort from Cheechoo minutes later. A slapshot by Matt Carle was heading right for Cheechoo, who quickly spread his skates and moved his blade toward the puck. The redirect appeared headed for the top corner, but Garon made a miraculous glove stop to rob him.

San Jose would solve Garon with just 3:17 left in the second. A pass through the slot to Marc-Edouard Vlasic hit him in stride, but Garon made the save. However, Joe Pavelski came swooping in and jabbed in the rebound.

The Sharks were winning the shot clock battle 22-12 after 40 minutes, but trailed 2-1 on the scoreboard.

Oilers defenseman Denis Grebeshkov is chased by Sharks forward Tomas Plihal on Thursday, Feb. 14, 2008. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
Edmonton quickly pushed the lead back to two early in the second. A blocked shot by Edmonton led to a race to the puck that Fernando Pisani won. He then took off to the races and fired top shelf to make things 3-1.

San Jose once again pulled within a goal and this time the penalty killers came through with more than just a great defensive effort. Craig Rivet chipped a puck forward that sprung Mike Grier on a breakaway. The speedy winger skated in and blasted his shot behind Garon to close the gap to 3-2.

With one minute remaining in the game, Sharks Head Coach Ron Wilson pulled Nabokov for the extra attacker. Then with 38.2 seconds to go, Edmonton's Steve Staios was called for hooking, giving the Sharks a two-man advantage for the closing seconds of the game.

The Sharks had a six-on-four advantage and worked the puck around the zone, but couldn't find the back of the net. With seven seconds remaining, Edmonton cleared the puck the length of the ice into the open net, however Jarret Stoll was called for hooking on a delayed penalty, so the goal was negated.

The Sharks finished the game with a six-on-three power play, but couldn't convert and after outshooting the Oilers 30-18, they fell to Edmonton 3-2.




San Jose will play the New York Rangers Sunday morning in 10 a.m. start that will be available on FSN Bay Area, 98.5 KFOX and

View More