Skip to main content
The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks

Sharks Force Game 6 With 3-2 OT Victory

by San Jose Sharks Staff / San Jose Sharks

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Facing elimination for the second straight game, the San Jose Sharks battled back in thrilling fashion to take Game 5 of their Western Conference Semifinal series against the Dallas Stars, 3-2 OT, to force Game 6 on Sunday night in Dallas.

Heading into the third period down 2-0, the Sharks capitalized on two of their key offensive sequences to tie the game before Joe Pavelski netted the game winner 65 seconds into sudden-death overtime.

San Jose trotted out the same lineup that proved successful in Game 4 and Dallas sent out the same lineup as well.

Joe Thornton’s trio nearly came up with the first tally on a three-on-three rush. The big center carried the puck down the left side as Milan Michalek and Jonathan Cheechoo drove the net. As Cheechoo hit the crease, the puck hit his stick, but Turco had slid across for the preemptive stop.

At the 14:10 marker of the first, a Stephane Robidas penalty gave San Jose the game’s first man-advantage. Team Teal managed to gain the zone and setup, then came within a Christian Ehrhoff post of taking the lead. However, the game remained scoreless early.

Dallas’ best early chance was eliminated when a hard backchecking Torrey Mitchell raced back to prevent an easy shot by Mike Modano.

Rookie winger Devin Setoguchi brought some physical play at the 7:12 mark when he blasted into B.J. Crombeen in the neutral zone.

As the period neared the four minute mark, the Sharks took to their most extended offensive shift of the stanza. The best scoring chance came on a Jonathan Cheechoo shot that went just wide, but Nicklas Grossman was called for a minor penalty and San Jose was on their second power play.

The Sharks did a nice job of maintaining pressure, but in the end could not find the first goal.

Dallas had their first power play when Curtis Brown was called for hooking with 46 seconds left in the first, but the advantage would have to carry over into the second as the first period finished scoreless.

San Jose killed off the remainder that first period penalty, but when Christian Ehrhoff was called for delay of game for clearing the puck over the glass, Dallas came through on the opportunity. Sergei Zubov fed Jere Lehtinen in the slot and he tickled the back of the net.

San Jose had a scary moment with 4:29 left in the second. As Brenden Morrow was heading to the net, Mike Ribeiro fired on net from near the goal line. The puck deflected of Craig Rivet’s skate and into the vicinity of Matt Carle and Morrow. When the puck crossed the line, the goal light went on and the ref signaled the tally. However, when the play went upstairs for review, the video goal judge, with help from the Toronto NHL office, ruled a distinct kicking motion and the goal was waived off.

The call seemed to energize the Sharks who responded with two strong rushes, one lead by Jonathan Cheechoo and another by Milan Michalek, but neither chance resulted in a tying tally.

Any energy gained from the call, quickly dissipated when Dallas scored with just 56 seconds left in the period. A Morrow shot from inside the left faceoff dot found beat Nabokov just inside the near post and Dallas skated into the break with a 2-0 lead after 40 minutes of play.

Dallas Stars goalie Marty Turco (35) gets beaten for the game-winning goal on a shot by San Jose Sharks center Joe Pavelski, not pictured, as the Sharks' Patrick Marleau, in blue, and defenseman Sergei Zubov (56) look on in overtime of Game 5 of a Western Conference semifinal playoff hockey series in San Jose, Calif., Friday, May 2, 2008. San Jose won 3-2. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
In desperate need of an offensive push, Captain Patrick Marleau sprung on a breakaway at 47 seconds of the third. Marleau split the Dallas defensemen and tried to move the puck to his backhand, but an aggressive poke check by Turco derailed the plans and the margin remained at two.

The Sharks had another video review go their way four minutes into the third. While on the power play, Morrow put the puck into the net, but the official on the ice alertly called it and the man upstairs upheld the decision.

Down 2-0, the Sharks showed they still have plenty of fight when with 13:40 to go Milan Michalek scored for the fourth time in five games. As Thornton had skated behind the net, he centered to puck to Michalek on the far side and he poked it in with a man draped all over him.

Then the Sharks had to go down a man at 12;28 as rivet was called for a holding penalty on Zubov of the Dallas Stars. The Sharks were able to kill off the penalty.

With the momentum going their way a pass from defenseman Brian Campbell to Roenick at mid ice gave Roenick a chance to breakaway and score top shelf on Turco’s stick side at 8:53.

To keep up the spirits Roenick decked Robidas from behind the deck at 5:10, the hit kept the crowd into the game until the end of the third. Tied at 2-2 the teams headed into the third OT of the series.

The Sharks would finally get their overtime retribution at 1:05 when Joe Pavelski would pick the stick of a Dallas defenseman to spin around and throw into the back of the net past Turco for the game winner.

The Sharks will head back to Dallas for Game 6.




The Sharks head to Dallas for Sunday night's Game 6 of their Western Conference Semifinal series against the Stars. The Game is set for 6:00 PM (Pacific) and will be broadcast on Comcast SportsNet in HD, KFOX 98.5 FM, Sharks Radio Network Affiliates and
View More