Skip to main content
The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks

Sharks Beat Predators In OT, 3-2

by Staff Writer / San Jose Sharks

The San Jose Sharks, looking to carry the momentum over from their 5-2 stomping of Edmonton Thursday night, played host to the Nashville Predators in a Saturday matinee. An overtime goal by Christian Ehrhoff gave the Sharks the 3-2 victory.

Vesa Toskala returned to the net for the second consecutive game, while Tomas Vokoun, boasting a 31-14-6 record, opposed him at the other end of the ice.

The Sharks went on the power play three minutes into the first when Adam Hall was called for boarding Scott Parker, but they couldn’t muster up any offense during the advantage.

It was Scott Thornton who would serve the next penalty seven minutes in for hooking, but just like San Jose’s first power play, the Predators couldn’t keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Once the penalty expired, San Jose put pressure on Vokoun, firing two quality shots on goal, but the netminder was able to escape danger.

With five minutes remaining in the first, San Jose went back on the power play when Ryan Suter held Joe Thornton when he was heading in on a breakaway.

With 3:29 left, Steve Bernier took offense to a check and went after Brendan Witt. A scrap ensued which saw teammates from both teams getting involved. The result was a bevy of penalties including two minutes for tripping and five for fighting to Witt, two minutes for roughing, five minutes for fighting and a game misconduct for Scott Nichol. For the Sharks, Bernier received two for instigating, two for unsportsmanlike conduct and five for fighting, while Michalek received five for fighting and a game misconduct.

The physical play continued when Shea Weber was whistled for roughing Ville Nieminen with 1:38 left in the period.

The teams headed to the locker room with the Sharks out-shooting the Predators 13-6.

The second period started with aggressive play from both sides and several shots on goal by the Sharks. After 16 shots on goal, Team Teal still couldn’t solve Vokoun.

Nearly seven minutes into the second, both Scott Parker and Witt were thrown from the game, after Parker elbowed a Predator and while heading to the lockerroom, trying to scrap with Witt. Parker was given two minutes for elbowing, two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, a ten minute game misconduct and a game misconduct. Witt was just given a game misconduct.

Just seconds after everything got sorted out, Paul Kariya gave the Predators a 1-0 lead when he lifted a puck past Toskala.

The Sharks went back on the power play when Marek Zidlicky was called for hooking Alyn McCauley midway through the frame. San Jose fired numerous shots on goal, most off the stick of Ehrhoff, but still couldn’t manage to find the back of the net.

Fourteen minutes into the second period, number 14 finally solved Vokoun. Cheechoo took a one time pass from Joe Thornton and buried it top shelf past Vokoun. The score was now tied at one.

Vokoun was called for high sticking McCauley with four minutes left and Jordin Tootoo served the penalty time. Although there were several shots on goal, Team Teal was unable to take advantage of the power play.

Moments later, the Predators again sent a player to the box when Ryan Suter was called for high sticking Bernier. Halfway through the power play, Scott Hartnell was called for interference on Scott Thornton and a Sharks five-on-three ensued. However, San Jose was unable to capitalize before the buzzer and the teams finished out the second period tied at one.
When play resumed, Hartnell’s penalty expired after 1:38 and the game went back to five-a-side.

With 10:01 left in the third period Nashville’s Mike Sillinger was called for a holding a stick on Joe Thornton. The Sharks were now on the power play.
Just 20 seconds later Nashville was once again called for a penalty when Jarred Smithson was whistled for delay of game. The Sharks now had a two man advantage with less than ten minutes left in the third period.
As the two man advantage expired and only 10 seconds left in the Smithson penalty, Mark Smith picked up a pass from Tom Preissing and scored the go-ahead goal. With 7:47 left the Sharks had a 2-1 lead.
Just 20 seconds after the Smith goal Nils Ekman was called for holding. The Predators would now be on the power play for two minutes. The Sharks successfully killed the penalty and with two minutes left were protecting a 2-1 lead.
With 10.9 seconds left and an extra attacker on the ice, Kariya slipped the puck past Toskala to send the game into overtime.
Two minutes into overtime, the Sharks went on the power play thanks to a tripping penalty called on David Legwand. The man advantage was all the Sharks needed as Ehrhoff wristed a shot from just inside his blue line to give Team Teal the 3-2 victory.
Ekman-J. Thornton-Cheechoo
S. Thornton-Smith-Parker


The Sharks will play host to the Los Angeles Kings Monday night at 7:30 p.m. at HP Pavilion. The game can be seen on FSN Bay Area and heard on the Sharks Radio Network or

View More